Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Ethernet not connected Macbook M1 Pro after 13.4.1

Hi, I'm running a Macbook M1 Pro. It seems that after I updated to 13.4.1, my ethernet is no longer working. I'm plugged into an Anker 565 hub, and looks like ax88179a is the network adaptor that shows up when it's connected. Right now it's not pulling an IP address from my router, it's just assigning its own address from a different scheme. I tried manually setting it to the correct address and I get a green dot connection in Network settings, however it's obviously not connecting to the my router as I have no internet when doing that. So I have it set to DHCP again. I don't have any other adaptors to test, but I'm 100% sure that there's nothing wrong with the router or anything on the network end as everything else in my house is working correctly.

I have access to WiFi, but when I'm at my desk, I do prefer to use the wired connection for the higher bandwidth. Any thoughts/ideas/similar experiences? I'm pretty new to MacOS so apologies if I'm missing something that should be easy to fix. Thanks in advanced

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 1:21 PM

Hey nickmiller79,

If you haven't already, run Apple Diagnostics to rule out a hardware issue: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If no issues are detected you may want to reach out to Apple Support directly: Get Support

Take care.

5 replies

Jul 7, 2023 7:40 AM in response to bbesspete

Thanks for the help. The Diagnostics didn't find any issues, but after a lot of playing around, looks like there was something screwy going on in my network switch. Didn't make sense at all in how it was acting. It was a TPLink switch, I updated firmware and several reboots and hard power cycle, I got it to run again. Guess it was just freak coincidence with the OS update.

Jul 1, 2023 9:26 AM in response to nickmiller79

Hi nickmiller79,

Thanks for posting here in Apple Support Communities. You'll need to make sure that your network settings are correct on your Mac as it may help to resolve the issue you're facing. You may also need to make sure that it is not the hub you're using as well. Check this out: Troubleshoot an Ethernet device on Mac - Apple Support

If you have an Ethernet device (such as a DSL or cable modem, or an Ethernet hub or router) connected to your Mac, and it doesn’t seem to be working properly, check the cables and network settings, and restart the device and your Mac.

1. Check the Ethernet cable to make sure it’s not damaged.
2. Make sure the Ethernet cable is securely connected to the Ethernet port on your computer and the device. Remove the cable, then reconnect it to make sure it’s connected properly.
3. Make sure your network settings are correct. If you’re not sure which settings to use, contact your ISP.
4. Shut down your Mac, then turn off the Ethernet device. Wait a few minutes, then turn the Ethernet device back on. Wait until it has started up completely, then restart your Mac.

Kind regards.

Jul 2, 2023 1:17 PM in response to Keisha_Keisha

Thanks, but I'm 100% sure it's not the cable nor the settings. I can't validate the hub because I don't have another device to test it against, but everything else on the hub is working properly. I feel there is some software issue that's happening that's not allowing the network adaptor in the hub pass the IP address through. And as stated, I think this started happening after the recent OS update.

Ethernet not connected Macbook M1 Pro after 13.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.