Why is the chronology of my photos WRONGFULLY

My photos used to be in chronological order. Not any more. What happened and why. Can I fix it? Many of us have thousands of photos on out phones. Without chronology, you can’t find the one you want. Used to be easy. Now it’s a nightmare. Fix it Apple or stop updating the software. That’s when the problem started. My stuff just “disappears”.

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 7:40 PM

Hello timm290,

The Recents album will always be sorted by when photos were added into the album. If you'd like to see all you photos in order (by date taken), please go to Library.

For other Albums:

1. Open Photos
  2. Tap Albums
  3. Tap on any Album
  4. Tap on More (three dots in the upper right)
  5. Tap on Sort

Choose the method you'd like to sort by.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 7:40 PM in response to timm290

Hello timm290,

The Recents album will always be sorted by when photos were added into the album. If you'd like to see all you photos in order (by date taken), please go to Library.

For other Albums:

1. Open Photos
  2. Tap Albums
  3. Tap on any Album
  4. Tap on More (three dots in the upper right)
  5. Tap on Sort

Choose the method you'd like to sort by.

Jun 30, 2023 1:02 AM in response to timm290

Are you looking at the Recents album? The sorting in the Recents album is only temporary stable, but it can change over time. The reason is, that it is sorted by the date a photo has been added, and the date a photo has been added can change, when we install a newer version of Photos (as a part of a system update or upgrade) or when the Photos Library gets damaged and Photos needs to upgrade or to rebuild the library. Then the photos may be added in a different order to the rebuild library. Sometimes Photos will discover older lost+found photos in the library, that have no longer been properly indexed in the databases and will add them as new items, so we can decide what to do with them. Look for an album "Recovered items".

The date, when a photo has been taken, should not change, unless we correct it on or own. So the albums, that are sorted by the date a photo has been taken, are preserving the sort order, even after your Photos Library has been rebuild after a library repair or a system upgrade. If you cannot find a photo in Recents, look for it in All Photos, or the Days, Months, Years.

Why is the chronology of my photos WRONGFULLY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.