All Photos are suddenly sorted as oldest first—got a fix?

Suddenly my All Photos are sorted by oldest date first, instead of showing the most recent first. How do I change this—withOUT moving them all to albumns?

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on May 10, 2023 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 7:59 AM

As léonie points out, "All Photos" provides a specific view of all the pictures in your Library in a pattern that can always be counted on--it can't be changed. But you don't have to "move them all to albums" to manipulate them. In fact, you don't exactly move pictures to albums-- any picture in an album is still in the All Photos view-- hence the name. An album is just a list of those pictures that you want to appear together, and pictures can be a many lists-- in many albums. But they're always in All Photos.

To do what you want with the least disturbance, you can make a Smart Album with a specification like {"Filename" "includes" "."} Since every filename has a dot, then you will get an album with all your pictures, and you can change the order. (I also use {"Date Created" "is after" "7/4/1776"} which seems to include them all!)

But in a Smart Album you can't order the pictures randomly-- the order must be alphabetical or chronological. However, in a regular Album you can drag the pictures to any order you want.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2023 7:59 AM in response to Pillery

As léonie points out, "All Photos" provides a specific view of all the pictures in your Library in a pattern that can always be counted on--it can't be changed. But you don't have to "move them all to albums" to manipulate them. In fact, you don't exactly move pictures to albums-- any picture in an album is still in the All Photos view-- hence the name. An album is just a list of those pictures that you want to appear together, and pictures can be a many lists-- in many albums. But they're always in All Photos.

To do what you want with the least disturbance, you can make a Smart Album with a specification like {"Filename" "includes" "."} Since every filename has a dot, then you will get an album with all your pictures, and you can change the order. (I also use {"Date Created" "is after" "7/4/1776"} which seems to include them all!)

But in a Smart Album you can't order the pictures randomly-- the order must be alphabetical or chronological. However, in a regular Album you can drag the pictures to any order you want.

All Photos are suddenly sorted as oldest first—got a fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.