Photos in created albums not sorted by date/time

In albums I have created in Photos, my photos are not sorted by date/time even though I have selected "Keep sorted by oldest first". For a given date, Photos lists pictures alphabetically by image number and then by date/time. For instance photos from my iPhone with files numbers beginning with "img" prefix on a given date precede those from my Panasonic camera with titles prefixed with "p". How can I get Photos to intermingle properly by date/time despite the camera used?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 29, 2023 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 1:05 AM

Does your camera assign GPS coordinates, when you take the photos?

When and where did you import the photos from your Camera to your Mac?

When you are importing photos to Photos, it will depend on the GPS tags of the imported photos and the timezone setting of your mac, how Photos will interpret the date and time EXIF tags of the imported photos.

For example, you import a photo taken at 8:30 overseas. Photos does not know the timezone the camera has been set to and will make an educated guess.

• If the photo has been tagged with GPS by the camera, Photos will read 8:30 according to the timezone of the GPS, this will be perfect for your iPhone photos, that will be tagged with GPS.
  • If the camera did not assign GPS coordinates, Photos will use the timezone of your current system time settings to read the 8:30 clock setting. And the date and time will be shifted by the timezone offset between your current location on import and the overseas location where you imported the photos.

To avoid such confusion, I never ever change the timezone settings in my cameras but keep them strictly set to UTC. This make it easy to adjust the date and time after importing the photos,particular if I crossed the border between timezones several times a day.

You can correct the timezone in the for the photos taken with your digital camera by collecting them in a smart album with the tow rules

"Match all:

• Camera model is ...
  • Date captured is in the Range...

Select all photos in this album, then use the command "Image > Adjust Date & Time" to tell Photos the correct time zone where you have taken the photos. Click the time zone strip and select the closest city. Then set the "Date adjusted" back to the "Date original". You want to change only the time zone, not the date and time.

i just noticed, that we cannot adjust the date and time for photos taken on the antarctic Peninsula. It is missing from the maps in "Adjust Date and Time".

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 1:05 AM in response to spdsail

When you are importing photos to Photos, it will depend on the GPS tags of the imported photos and the timezone setting of your mac, how Photos will interpret the date and time EXIF tags of the imported photos.

For example, you import a photo taken at 8:30 overseas. Photos does not know the timezone the camera has been set to and will make an educated guess.

• If the photo has been tagged with GPS by the camera, Photos will read 8:30 according to the timezone of the GPS, this will be perfect for your iPhone photos, that will be tagged with GPS.
  • If the camera did not assign GPS coordinates, Photos will use the timezone of your current system time settings to read the 8:30 clock setting. And the date and time will be shifted by the timezone offset between your current location on import and the overseas location where you imported the photos.

To avoid such confusion, I never ever change the timezone settings in my cameras but keep them strictly set to UTC. This make it easy to adjust the date and time after importing the photos,particular if I crossed the border between timezones several times a day.

You can correct the timezone in the for the photos taken with your digital camera by collecting them in a smart album with the tow rules

"Match all:

• Camera model is ...
  • Date captured is in the Range...

Select all photos in this album, then use the command "Image > Adjust Date & Time" to tell Photos the correct time zone where you have taken the photos. Click the time zone strip and select the closest city. Then set the "Date adjusted" back to the "Date original". You want to change only the time zone, not the date and time.

i just noticed, that we cannot adjust the date and time for photos taken on the antarctic Peninsula. It is missing from the maps in "Adjust Date and Time".

May 29, 2023 4:41 PM in response to spdsail

Sorting like this can often be explained by time zone mismatches. Most cameras are not as good about knowing and recording their location and time zone at the time a photo is take as an iPhone is. Most don't even attempt to record a time zone, so your Mac may guess wrong when it imports the photos, thinking that you are still in the same time zone (and that the Mac's own time zone is set correctly).

May 29, 2023 4:57 PM in response to markwmsn

Time zone mismatch is not the case. I was traveling overseas with camera adjusted to the local time zone. I have photos on the iPhone that were taken throughout a day and pictures taken with the camera throughout the day. The iPhone pictures in the album were taken from say 8 am to 5 pm and the camera pictures taken from say 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. I downloaded the photos from the iPhone first and then photos from the camera SD card. I expected the photos to be sorted based on date/time and not by device first then date/time for each device.

May 29, 2023 9:14 PM in response to spdsail

Didn't you say that the pictures were showing up in date order before device order? That still suggests to me that the times are being misinterpreted. Nine hours does seem like a suspiciously large discrepancy.

If it's not a time zone issue, it might be something odd in the way you are doing the photo transfers from your devices. If you describe your methods, perhaps somebody will recognize what could cause a problem.

Jun 1, 2023 11:57 AM in response to léonie

No, it does not. We were in Egypt and I set my camera to the local Cairo time (Eastern European Time - EET). We were there from mid-March to early April. In late April Egypt went on Eastern European Summer Time (EEST).

Downloaded the camera photos after we returned home in the Pacific Northwest - 9 hours behind EET. (The Pacific timezone had switched to PDT in early March.)That 9-hour difference would explain why the camera photos always appeared after the iPhone photos on a given date.

I followed your instructions for creating a Smart Album and "Adjust Date and Time". I set the timezone to Cairo and it showed as EEST - now a 10 hour difference with PDT. As you suggested I set the "Adjusted" date/time to match the "Original". The result was not what I expected - the camera photos were not properly interspersed amongst the iPhone photos, more confusing than before. I tried to restore the camera photos to their initial sequence (ie, grouped following the iPhone photos on a given date). However, that sequence seems to have been lost.

Jun 1, 2023 12:25 PM in response to spdsail

Could you try to find two photos from your camera and from your iPhone photos, that have been taken at the same time but are not sorted together? This way you can see the date offset and tell how much the time needs to be for the camera photos.

You may also want to create a smart album for your iPhone photos, so you can see, if it least the iPhone photos are sorted correctly by the time. iPhone photos might be sorted incorrectly, if for some of them the GPS is missing or wrong. This can happen, when taking photos in a location without GPS, for example inside large buildings.

Photos in created albums not sorted by date/time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.