Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Photos in the "Recent" Album is all out of order

A couple days ago I backed up my photos via icloud and also imported photos from my iPhone to my MacBook. After doing both of these things, my photos in the Recent album on both devices are now not in order by date. The dates on the individual photos are still the correct date, but they are not categorized by date anymore. The system also seemed to take my photos from a couple years ago and mixed them in with my most recent photos of a month ago. Is there a way to filter by date? The buttons on the upper right do not have an option to do it.

I understand that the "Library" tab has them in order by date. But for convenience sake, I'd prefer to have the Recent album to be in order by date as well, because when sending photos via iMessage or WhatsApp you only have the option to choose photos from albums.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 7:37 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 18, 2024 12:02 PM in response to ChowSaiHou

Recents shows all your pictures in the order they have entered the system. For instance, if you duplicate a picture it will have the same capture date, but Recents will show it appearing recently, as it did. The idea, here, is that this album always provides the same view so that, when something goes wrong or seems off, you (and we) can depend on it showing the same thing, and there's no chance that someone changed the order or removed pictures.

If you want an album that has all the pictures in Recents but in capture order, you can create a new album of your own (choose Albums and hit + at the top) and name it My Recents, or something. Then select all the pictures in Recents and go to Share/Add to Album. Then you can sort them in order of creation date.

Apr 20, 2024 7:00 AM in response to ChowSaiHou

ChowSaiHou wrote: Is there an explanation as to why my older photos who were previously entered into the system a few years ago now are also out of order as well?

The way Recently organizes pictures seems to change, occasionally. It could be a system update or, when you said, "A couple days ago I backed up my photos via icloud and also imported photos from my iPhone to my MacBook" there may have been some changes that Photos thinks are recent. Hard to say without being able to re-run the process.

Apr 20, 2024 10:09 AM in response to ChowSaiHou

The Recents album is sorting the photos by the date they have been added to the Library.

You can see this on a Mac, when you open the Recents album and go to the menu "View > Sort". There the sort order is shown as a fixed sort order that we cannot change. However, the "Date added" for a photo can change and then the sort order will change.

Occasionally Photos needs to rebuild the library - for example after a system upgrade or after Photos has crashed badly, it may need to rebuild the library. At that point, when Photos is rebuilding the library, the photos may be added to the library in a different order and this will change the "date Added" and thus the position in Recents. The "date added" is not supposed to be stable over a long time, only for the most recently added photos.

Apr 22, 2024 6:11 AM in response to ChowSaiHou

As you are using iCloud Photos you could create the smart album recommended by Old Toad on your Mac. Add the photos from this smart album to a standard album, call it "My recents", and let iCloud Photos sync it to your iPhone.

But to see your photos on the iPhone sorted by the date taken you could simple use the "All Photos" tab in the Library on your iPhone instead of Recents. "All Photos" is always sorted by the date taken. I am using the All Photos tab a lot. It is more stable than Recents. And if there should be photos sorted incorrectly, in an unexpected place, these photos may have a wrong date assigned and the date needs fixing.

Downgrading to the earlier version will not help, if it is still possible at all. Photos would have to create a downgraded library from your iCloud Library and this might also mix up your "Recents".

Photos in the "Recent" Album is all out of order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.