Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting photos by date

I have an album which includes photos taken on my iPhone and on my SLR. I have selected to sort the photos by 'View' > 'Sort' > 'Keep sorted by oldest first'. However this isn't working and when I look at the info pane the photos are sorted on the correct date but not by the correct times.

The time on the info pane is correct, but the position in the album is not.

I have tried to adjust the SLR photos to make them slot to the right position, but that doesn't work. As an example, some SLR photos with a time that is later than an iPhone photo are in some cases showing ahead of the time they should.

Is there anything I can do or is it just a quirk of mixing the source of the photos?

Thanks

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 12:36 PM

This looks like a problem with the time zone.

Have the iPhone and the camera been set to different time zones when you took the photos? And did you import the photos while you have been in a different timezone then the timezone where the photos have been taken?

The Photos may have assigned different timezones to the capture dates.

Try to identify two photos, that have been taken at the same time, but are sorted hours apart.

Then select one photo and use the command "Image > Adjust Date&Time". This will show you a panel. where you can see the timezone strip and the closest city for the timezone that Photos assigned to the capture time on import. Has the same timezone been assign to the the photos from both cameras?

If the photos for one camera are using the wrong time zone, you can correct it by selecting only the photos taken with the camera, for example with a smart album (File > New Smart Album) and set the rule to "Camera Model is " and select the camera model.

Now select all photos in this album and use again the command "Image > Adjust Date and Time". Click the correct timezone strip, then select the closest city. This will shift the "Time adjusted". Set it back to the original time. YOu do not want to change the time, only the timezone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2023 12:36 PM in response to Peter Gibb

This looks like a problem with the time zone.

Have the iPhone and the camera been set to different time zones when you took the photos? And did you import the photos while you have been in a different timezone then the timezone where the photos have been taken?

The Photos may have assigned different timezones to the capture dates.

Try to identify two photos, that have been taken at the same time, but are sorted hours apart.

Then select one photo and use the command "Image > Adjust Date&Time". This will show you a panel. where you can see the timezone strip and the closest city for the timezone that Photos assigned to the capture time on import. Has the same timezone been assign to the the photos from both cameras?

If the photos for one camera are using the wrong time zone, you can correct it by selecting only the photos taken with the camera, for example with a smart album (File > New Smart Album) and set the rule to "Camera Model is " and select the camera model.

Now select all photos in this album and use again the command "Image > Adjust Date and Time". Click the correct timezone strip, then select the closest city. This will shift the "Time adjusted". Set it back to the original time. YOu do not want to change the time, only the timezone.

Mar 5, 2023 1:28 PM in response to Peter Gibb

Léonie, I am pretty sure you've helped me here; there are parts of the Photos app that I just didn't know existed. Such as the ability to select a particular camera etc. etc. etc.

I have made a bit of a mess up to now so tomorrow I am going to start again and re-import the SLR photos, as I haven't formatted the card yet, so fortunately I can do that. Then I will be able to start with a completely clean set and make the adjustments you have described.

My only concern with the times now is that I think I remember adjusting the time, but not the timezone, on my camera to -3 hours before I started the trip. I will just have to take a bit of time sorting it, but with all this extra knowledge I will be better placed in the future.

While I am on here can you also help with helping me to add locations to sets and groups of the SLR photos. Do I have to do it individually? Can I copy a location from an iPhone photo? And paste into the SLR photo?

Thank you so very much Léonie.

Sorting photos by date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.