In OS Ventura, I can't find a way to open emails with double click. They are opening on one click, so when I select junk mail to move to Trash, they all open, thus exacerbating the problem by reinforcing spam.

How do I set up Apple Mail in OS Ventura, so that I can open emails with two clicks instead of one?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 6:07 PM

Carmengeddon wrote:

2021 M1 MacBook Pro with OS Monterey. The latter does exactly what I want to do, meaning that when I select an email it is highlighted but not opened. My other frustration with Ventura is that unless I double click on an email, it opens at the bottom. When I double click it, it opens in its own window.

So, I can't select it without it opening period, and I dislike that when I do it opens at the bottom.

Also, I can't find where in Ventura Mail settings to choose the 3-column option. that would be ideal. Is this a built-in difference between Ventura and Monterey?

You grab ahold of the border and drag it down to the bottom to have it closed,

and drag it up from the bottom to have the preview screen showing ( easiest if not in full screen mode)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

For the view options as the screen shot shows you how/where for your two options

3 vertical columns vs the older "Use Column Layout" like you are showing...

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2023 6:07 PM in response to Carmengeddon

Carmengeddon wrote:

2021 M1 MacBook Pro with OS Monterey. The latter does exactly what I want to do, meaning that when I select an email it is highlighted but not opened. My other frustration with Ventura is that unless I double click on an email, it opens at the bottom. When I double click it, it opens in its own window.

So, I can't select it without it opening period, and I dislike that when I do it opens at the bottom.

Also, I can't find where in Ventura Mail settings to choose the 3-column option. that would be ideal. Is this a built-in difference between Ventura and Monterey?

You grab ahold of the border and drag it down to the bottom to have it closed,

and drag it up from the bottom to have the preview screen showing ( easiest if not in full screen mode)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

For the view options as the screen shot shows you how/where for your two options

3 vertical columns vs the older "Use Column Layout" like you are showing...

Jun 30, 2023 12:09 PM in response to Carmengeddon

Carmengeddon wrote:

How do I set up Apple Mail in OS Ventura, so that I can open emails with two clicks instead of one?

?

Mail>Settings>View>

you should have a preview of email... there is no need to click open anything

if you do not:

either the 3 column view — expand the window from the far right side

or the older "Use Column Layout" expand from the bottom up

Jun 30, 2023 3:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi, Leroy.

Thanks for taking the time. Please bear with me, I'm not technically savvy. I changed the viewing preview to 2 lines, and as far as I can tell that has made no difference.

I have a 2021 M1 iMac with OS Ventura (where I'm having this issue) and a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro with OS Monterey. The latter does exactly what I want to do, meaning that when I select an email it is highlighted but not opened. My other frustration with Ventura is that unless I double click on an email, it opens at the bottom. When I double click it, it opens in its own window. So, I can't select it without it opening period, and I dislike that when I do it opens at the bottom.

Thank you for your assistance.

In OS Ventura, I can't find a way to open emails with double click. They are opening on one click, so when I select junk mail to move to Trash, they all open, thus exacerbating the problem by reinforcing spam.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.