When Apple Music "matches" an mp3, and you "remove" and re-download the song, is the result a re-encoding of your upload?

I've seen a few different web pages that say that the "Match" feature of Apple Music transcodes matched songs from your computer to 256 kpbs AAC, and therefore you might not want to have the Apple Music app remove a a 320 kpbs song and then re-download it because the resulting download will be not just a lower bitrate, but a re-compression of already lossy decompressed music.

But is that what actually happens? Is the matched file on the computer transcoded and uploaded, or is it simply matched with an already existing 256 kpbs file that Apple has on its servers that has been encoded from a lossless version?

I ask because I have been using the Music app to remove matched songs that have bitrates below 256 kpbs and then re-download them to "upgrade" the quality to 256 kpbs. But if that downloaded song is a 256 kpbs re-encoding of my 128 kpbs mp3... then I'm actually downgrading.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 12:10 AM

Hi,

When a track is matched, it is matched with the version that is on Apple’s servers. It does not transcribe you original tracks. Apple does not automatically replace the existing tracks, you have to do this manually. If you do so, you will get 256 Kbps AAC. Lower bit rate tracks will be upgraded but higher bit rate such as lossless will be downgraded.

Uploaded tracks will be uploaded as is but lossless files will be transcribed to 256 Kbps AAC.

At the end of the day, you should keep backup of all your music so that you can revert to original if necessary.

Jim

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2023 12:10 AM in response to juandule

Hi,

When a track is matched, it is matched with the version that is on Apple’s servers. It does not transcribe you original tracks. Apple does not automatically replace the existing tracks, you have to do this manually. If you do so, you will get 256 Kbps AAC. Lower bit rate tracks will be upgraded but higher bit rate such as lossless will be downgraded.

Uploaded tracks will be uploaded as is but lossless files will be transcribed to 256 Kbps AAC.

At the end of the day, you should keep backup of all your music so that you can revert to original if necessary.

Jim

Jul 2, 2023 12:49 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thanks for this clear and concise answer.

To rephrase: if a music file is "uploaded" (NOT matched) AND the bitrate is higher than 256 kpbs, AM (Apple Music) will be transcode the upload down to 256 kpbs, and if I "Remove download" and re-download it, the resulting file will be that transcoded file.

If the bitrate is lower than 256 kpbs, and I "Remove download" and re-download it, AM uploads the file intact, and a removal and re-download will result in the original file.

Also, if a song is "matched", and the user selects "Remove download" and then selects "Download" for the same song, the downloaded song will be a 256 kpbs file from Apple's servers, regardless of the original bitrate.

Correct?

Jul 2, 2023 1:16 PM in response to juandule

Hi,

An uploaded track will only be transcribed if it is lossless such as ALAC or AIFF. If you remove download then re-download, you will get transcribed 256 AAC version. If the track was mp3 or AAC, the uploaded track will be same bit rate. 320 Kbps mp3 will not be transcribed.

Matched tracks will be 256 Kbps irrespective of original bit rate.

Jim

When Apple Music "matches" an mp3, and you "remove" and re-download the song, is the result a re-encoding of your upload?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.