Can’t add new VIP’s in OS X Mail Ventura

Hi all, this question was asked and apparently accidentally marked as solved so I figured I would drudge it up again as it certainly remains.

To date it does not appear to have been fixed but I did notice something. When you use the desktop version of Mail this bug does prevent you from assigning contacts VIP status in the Mail app. You do not see any star by the contact; nor does the contact appear in the mailbox list of VIPs.

However, if you use another device—such as an iPad or iPhone to assign VIP status it appears to work correctly. Similar to the desktop version, the contact’s name does not appear in the VIP list but you do see a star by the contact’s name.

Alas, the VIP notification system still does not work so the problem remains.

If anyone happens to have found a fix I’d be grateful. Many thanks.

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 7:46 PM

4 replies

May 4, 2024 8:29 AM in response to Mesarah01

Show emails from VIP senders in Mail on Mac

Excerpt for above link

Make someone a VIP

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, select a message from someone you want to make a VIP.
  2. Move the pointer next to their name in the message header, then click the star  that appears. 

You can also click the arrow in a Smart Address, then choose Add to VIPs.

If a VIP has more than one email address in the Contacts app, messages from all of their addresses are included in the VIP’s mailbox.

Jun 30, 2023 7:56 PM in response to rjonna

I think I may have just found a fix!

On an iPhone (haven’t tested anything else):

1. Find the contact in an email.
  2. Click on their name
  3. If they are not a VIP, add them AND then remove them; if they are a VIP, simply remove them.
  4. Go to your mailboxes, find the VIP mailbox and click on the “i”
  5. The VIP list comes up. Scroll to the bottom and click Add VIP
  6. Find the person in your contacts and add them
  7. They should appear in the list now, and have as star.
  8. I tested on the iPad and this seems to have worked there as well.

I have not tested on my mac but I will do so and check back here.

Can’t add new VIP’s in OS X Mail Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.