Why am I receiving tons of junk mails?

Since a few weeks I received tons of junk mails (more than 50 a day) when before I had hardly any... I checked my settings, report many of them to 'reportphyshing@apple.com', no difference. And some important emails from my contacts end up there too! What can I do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 4:34 AM

Hello Patchouli,

Unfortunately, once your email is out there it is very hard to completely eliminate spam and phishing emails. Your only solution is to block the senders and attempting setting up inbox rules.

1. Set up rules to filter email in Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support
  2. Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

If you give me some examples (nothing inappropriate or sensitive please), I can try helping you setup some inbox rules!

Please do not report random emails to `reportphishing@apple.com`. You should only report emails to this email address that are impersonating Apple. Apple cannot stop random spam, scam, or phishing emails that deliver in your inbox. However, Apple (and other companies) are allowed to take down domains that are legitimately being used as impersonation/phishing. If these are the type of emails you're receiving (people impersonate Apple), please continue to report them.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

I would also consider looking into What is Hide My Email? - Apple Support. This way you no longer have to hand out your personal email address. As an example, no one knows what my personal email address is. I give friends, family, websites, etc. a random Hide My Email address every time it someone asks for it. If I start receiving spam and phishing emails from them, I just deactivate the Hide My Email address and they stop! I highly recommend looking into it, you already have it if you have iCloud+.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2023 4:34 AM in response to Patchouli

Hello Patchouli,

Unfortunately, once your email is out there it is very hard to completely eliminate spam and phishing emails. Your only solution is to block the senders and attempting setting up inbox rules.

1. Set up rules to filter email in Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support
  2. Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

If you give me some examples (nothing inappropriate or sensitive please), I can try helping you setup some inbox rules!

Please do not report random emails to `reportphishing@apple.com`. You should only report emails to this email address that are impersonating Apple. Apple cannot stop random spam, scam, or phishing emails that deliver in your inbox. However, Apple (and other companies) are allowed to take down domains that are legitimately being used as impersonation/phishing. If these are the type of emails you're receiving (people impersonate Apple), please continue to report them.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

I would also consider looking into What is Hide My Email? - Apple Support. This way you no longer have to hand out your personal email address. As an example, no one knows what my personal email address is. I give friends, family, websites, etc. a random Hide My Email address every time it someone asks for it. If I start receiving spam and phishing emails from them, I just deactivate the Hide My Email address and they stop! I highly recommend looking into it, you already have it if you have iCloud+.

Why am I receiving tons of junk mails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.