Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iPadOS 16: Safari touchpad / mouse scrolling bug on Google and other websites

I am experiencing inconsistent and frustrating behaviour when accessing the desktop versions of Google Mail, Docs, Calendar, etc, as well as some other websites, through Safari on iPadOS 16. I believe the issue arose in iPadOS 16.4 and has not been resolved since - I am now on the latest version of iPadOS 16. I am using an M2 iPad Pro 11 inch but experienced the same behaviour on my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 inch before I sold it. Issue occurs with the touchpad on a 2021 and 2023 Apple Magic Keyboard as well as a 2023 Magic Mouse. Touch screen scroll inputs (with finger) always work as expected.

The issue occurs almost always on GMail. It’s most prevalent and obvious when using split view in GMail - at least one of the three scrollable frames (folder list, email list, email preview) will not scroll properly using the touchpad. If you flick and release, scroll will work for the period when your finger(s) are removed (i.e. not in contact with the touchpad. But there is no response to scroll inputs while two fingers are on the touchpad. Same behaviour in Calendar - almost always at least one frame will do this. Google Docs often exhibits the behaviour as well with a doc open.

As above, the issue is intermittent and sometimes works for a minute or so when the page first loads, but almost always occurs soon after. I have also experienced it one other websites, including my company’s internal Tableau pages where frames are used (can’t recall others). Microsoft web apps seem unaffected (e.g. live.com, similar layout, no issue).

One work around is to slightly zoom in on the whole page using a pinch to zoom gesture - then suddenly the scrolling works across frames. However this causes other unusual behaviour including the zoom level increasing every time you go out and back into the Safari tab (another bug!). It also shouldn’t be necessary in a ‘desktop class’ browser - of course.

I have played around with experimental features but can’t find any combination that resolves. Also tried restarting, clearing website data, cookies, etc. I have tried every update since iPadOS 16.4 and always the same. My 12.9 inch iPad Pro (with same issue) was from a different backup with an older magic keyboard so I am doubtful a clean install would work and don’t feel I should have to do this. I have reported to Apple multiple times across testing new versions and never had a response nor a ‘similar report’ which I find hard to believe. See Reddit post here explaining the same problem.

Hoping someone has a quick fix or if not that Apple will see this and resolve in the next update… I use Google apps for work and otherwise the Safari experience is brilliant…

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 6:33 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 13, 2024 11:50 PM in response to Chris Ersser

Still no solution to this and I have had several troubleshooting sessions with Apple engineers where I have recreated the problem and they have taken lots etc. I’ve stopped using my iPad entirely for work.

Interestingly another site that is affected for me is apples own iCloud Photos when accessed through Safari. As with all instances of this issue it’s intermittent but regularly occurs on icloud.com. Google apps are by far the worst. I think it has improved slightly since 16.4 for me but it still happens 50% of the time.

If anyone has the energy to spend time with the Apple engineering team to try and help them work this out go for it - I gave up after about 5 organised calls!

My case ref is 102091617471 if you want to refer to that.

cheers

Jul 2, 2023 8:21 PM in response to Chris Ersser

Hello Chris,

Based on what you've shared you're experiencing issues that are specific to Safari. To start we recommend following the guidance listed here: If Safari isn't loading websites or quits on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Should the behavior persist after taking these steps, and only within specific websites, we recommend reaching out to their developers for additional assistance.

Regards.

May 1, 2024 12:31 PM in response to Chris Ersser

More info I have found - this appears to be a problem when the page has an internal div that is horizontally clipped, therefore it has a horizontal scrollbar. Note that the scrollbars are hidden, so it isn’t always obvious, but if a page has a div in it that is clipped, the scrolling up and down becomes problematic. Using ctrl(-) to make the text smaller and then refreshing the page often clears up once the horizontally clipped div is no longer clipped. Clearly a bug in the Safari render browser.

iPadOS 16: Safari touchpad / mouse scrolling bug on Google and other websites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.