iMessages on Mac not showing messages

On my iPhone all messages in conversations are showing up correctly, but on my MacBook, some conversations only show logs of the messages and not the messages themselves. I tried the following:

1) Deleted those conversations on my Macbook

2) After that, they are also deleted on my phone cause they are synced through iCloud.

3) I then recovered them from recently deleted folder and saw the results - the messages of those conversations again, show up normally on my iPhone but on my mag, they still display only logs.

How can I fix this so that my MacBook also displays full conversations?

To better understand what I mean, here is an example:

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2023 7:00 PM

Go into Settings in your iPhone, scroll to Messages, in there iMessage should be switched on.

Scroll down to Text Message Forwarding

Click on that.

You'll see in their that your Mac is probably not enabled. I had 3 in that state due to having to rebuild this 2015 MBP i'm typing this on so i enabled all 3.

Go into Messages on the Mac, Preferences, Sign Out, then sign in.

A popup on your phone will let you know a new device has been added. Click OK on that.

Should be good to go now. You can also go into Messages, Preferences, iMessage on the Mac and click Sync Now too.

cheers

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2023 7:00 PM in response to baagii258

Go into Settings in your iPhone, scroll to Messages, in there iMessage should be switched on.

Scroll down to Text Message Forwarding

Click on that.

You'll see in their that your Mac is probably not enabled. I had 3 in that state due to having to rebuild this 2015 MBP i'm typing this on so i enabled all 3.

Go into Messages on the Mac, Preferences, Sign Out, then sign in.

A popup on your phone will let you know a new device has been added. Click OK on that.

Should be good to go now. You can also go into Messages, Preferences, iMessage on the Mac and click Sync Now too.

cheers

Nov 8, 2023 4:15 PM in response to baagii258

Very similar issue with me. I just upgraded to a MBP M3, and now there are several messages missing on my Mac. They show up on my old Mac, iPad and phone, but not on the new MBP! I've tried many of the "fixes", check my settings, and I am getting some messages, but not all. And they are not SMS messages. These are iMessages that I'm not seeing!

This is not good.

Jul 3, 2023 10:44 AM in response to baagii258

Hello baagii258,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Let's try signing out of iMessage restarting and signing back in. These steps can sometimes help with issues like this. These steps should help:

"Set up iMessage

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, enter your Apple ID and password, then click Sign In.
  1. Choose Messages > Settings, click iMessage, click Settings, then select any of the following options:
  • You can be reached for messages at: Select the email addresses or phone numbers that people can use to send you messages.
  • Send read receipts: Select this option so that people who send you messages can see when you’ve read them.
  • Start new conversations from: Choose the email address or phone number that you want to use for starting new conversations.
  • This option is only available if you have more than one email address or phone number listed below “You can be reached for messages at.” 
    • Note: This is the information that others see when you send a message. For example, if you have your phone number selected, conversations with others show your phone number.

You can also set up name and photo sharing and notifications (such as sounds and alerts).

Stop using iMessage

If you don’t want to see messages on your Mac, you can sign out of iMessage.

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, choose Messages > Settings, click iMessage, then click Settings.
  2. Click Sign Out, then confirm that you want to sign out. When you sign out of iMessage, you no longer receive messages on your Mac.

Note: If you want to stop receiving messages sent to your phone number, deselect the phone number below “You can be reached for messages at.” See the Apple Support article Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime. "

More details can be found here: Set up Messages on Mac

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Which macOS version is currently installed? When did you first notice this? Also, does this happen with all contacts?

Cheers!

Jul 6, 2023 7:27 AM in response to baagii258

Hello baagii258,

Thanks for taking those steps and letting us know the results. If you only see this with certain Contacts, let's try deleting those Contacts and adding them back. Give your Mac a restart after that and let us know if the behavior persists, please.

Follow this guidance:

We hope this helps. Let us know if we can assist with anything else at all. Take care.

Oct 7, 2023 10:47 AM in response to Gena_D

I am having the same issue! In every contact there are no messages from Wednesday until today, Saturday. I have signed out, restarted Mac, signed back in and they are still not there.

It seems to happen whenever there are updates and if I don't open my Mac every day.

This happened before. Several times. Once when we went on a trip in May and I took my iPhone and iPad but left the MacBook Pro at home. No messages from the month of May. I called support and we walked through everything.

Why does this keep happening? How can I prevent it from continuing to happen? How do I get my messages onto my MacBook?

Thank you!!

iMessages on Mac not showing messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.