MAC M1 ULTRA PERSISTENTLY RESTARTS

My MAC M1 Ultra persistently restarts after working for 1-2 hours. It doesn't matter is I am working in MAC mode or using Parallels with Windows 11 (ARM version) using Microsoft 365 (Excel mostly) and Edge.

I also have a MAC M1 Max and never have this issue when using Parallels with Windows 11 (ARM version) using Microsoft 365 and Edge.

Since the Pandemic I'm sad to say that Apple Support folks are lacking the skills to help with this. I really believe this is a hardware issue but unless the first line of support at Apple escalates my tickets, then this issue will continue on until I decide to get rid of this MAC M1 Ultra....

I don't see a place to attached my EtreCheckPro report....

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 1:01 PM

As it posted earlier if you don't need a VPN for work, banking or school it's not needed and should be removed. VPNs have been reported to have caused problems with accessing websites, taking up system resources, etc. Some use it to access movies or websites in countries where they ordinarily couldn't. Just be aware that you're privacy is not guaranteed.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2023 1:01 PM in response to rayw from fl

As it posted earlier if you don't need a VPN for work, banking or school it's not needed and should be removed. VPNs have been reported to have caused problems with accessing websites, taking up system resources, etc. Some use it to access movies or websites in countries where they ordinarily couldn't. Just be aware that you're privacy is not guaranteed.

Jul 1, 2023 10:39 AM in response to rayw from fl

Wow, CleamMyMac claims another victim. First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they're aproviding false secutiry from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites. 

Uninstall CMM according to the developerl's instructions. You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For CMM software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If you get warnings that the file can't be deleted because it is in use or used by another app boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and delete from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jul 1, 2023 12:10 PM in response to Old Toad

Okay. I have uninstalled CMM, checked uninstall was complete by using Find Any File. All is good with CMM. I have ExpressVPN, it there an issue with that product, do I need to uninstall it was well. I use it so I can watch programs in AU, and for that purpose only.

I did install Malwarebytes too.

I will let you know if uninstalled CMM resolves my issues.

Thank you again for your help with this. It is very much appreciated @Old Toad.

Jul 2, 2023 9:13 AM in response to Old Toad

@Old Toad.

Everything related to CMC was successfully removed from my MAC Studio Ultra; however, were are two folders on my MAC Studio MAX that will not let me delete them. They are:

com.macpaw-labs.snitch.filter-extension

com.macpaw-labs.snitch.filter-extension.systemextension

I tried safe mode. Still won't let me remove. Still tells me I need Root access to remove these.

Any suggestions ?

Jul 2, 2023 4:34 PM in response to Old Toad

Reinstalled Cleanmymac. Uninstalled using the uninstaller in Cleanmymac. Results are the same. Still cannot remove these:

com.macpaw-labs.snitch.filter-extension

com.macpaw-labs.snitch.filter-extension.systemextension

Even if I go to where these are located. I have read rights and the system will not let me change it to Read/Write.

Any other ideas ?

MAC M1 ULTRA PERSISTENTLY RESTARTS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.