Can’t get emails to work on my child’s phone

I can’t get emails to work on my child’s phone. Sending emails works but not receiving. Get message “gmail is currently unavailable.” Tried restarting phone, deleting and redownloading app, same message. I think it has to do with the parental controls, the account works fine on computers. No problem with my own account on my phone. My kids phone is a iPhone SE iOS 16.5.

iPhone SE (3rd generation)

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 2:14 PM

Hi QueenKimba,

It sounds like you've taken some great steps in troubleshooting this behavior already. If you suspect that the parental controls are causing or contributing to the issue, temporarily disable those and see if the device can then receive emails. If so, you'll have narrowed down possible causes and it may be necessary to alter or adjust those settings.

If not, the incoming email server may not be configured properly. Verify with Gmail what server settings you should be using, see if an app-specific password is required (some advanced forms of authentication/security may require this), and use Change email settings in Mail on iPhone to confirm or adjust those settings accordingly.

Regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2023 2:14 PM in response to QueenKimba

Hi QueenKimba,

It sounds like you've taken some great steps in troubleshooting this behavior already. If you suspect that the parental controls are causing or contributing to the issue, temporarily disable those and see if the device can then receive emails. If so, you'll have narrowed down possible causes and it may be necessary to alter or adjust those settings.

If not, the incoming email server may not be configured properly. Verify with Gmail what server settings you should be using, see if an app-specific password is required (some advanced forms of authentication/security may require this), and use Change email settings in Mail on iPhone to confirm or adjust those settings accordingly.

Regards.

Can’t get emails to work on my child’s phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.