Anyone in this community can explain how Silence Unknown Callers feature works on iPhone

Is there somebody in this forum that can explain to me how "Silence Unknown Callers" feature works on iPhone in simple words? Does it use a "silent ring tone"?

As far as I understand this feature was introduced by APPLE with iOS 13 in 2021. Before that it was IMPOSSIBLE to block calls on iPhones (APPLE did NOT allow call blocking at all before that). I am trying to understand if this new feature uses "silent ring tone" or how it works.

Appreciate your time.

Thx.

S

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 5:58 PM

Also "will block any *unknown contact " - HOW?

An unknown contact or caller is anyone that is not in your contacts list.

How does it "block" an incoming call?

It doesn't. This has already been explained twice above. Please re-read those responses. The unknown caller goes straight to voicemail. You never hear the phone ring.

does the phone send back any response to the caller.

The unknown caller goes directly to voicemail. Nothing else happens.

Maybe if you could stop using the word "block", things would be come more clear. An unknown or spam caller will go straight to voicemail. You will never hear the phone ring. That's it.

Questions that have already been answered will not be answered again.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2023 5:58 PM in response to sappco

Also "will block any *unknown contact " - HOW?

An unknown contact or caller is anyone that is not in your contacts list.

How does it "block" an incoming call?

It doesn't. This has already been explained twice above. Please re-read those responses. The unknown caller goes straight to voicemail. You never hear the phone ring.

does the phone send back any response to the caller.

The unknown caller goes directly to voicemail. Nothing else happens.

Maybe if you could stop using the word "block", things would be come more clear. An unknown or spam caller will go straight to voicemail. You will never hear the phone ring. That's it.

Questions that have already been answered will not be answered again.

Jul 1, 2023 5:24 PM in response to sappco

Hello sappco!

It really is very simple.

“Silence Unknown Callers” will block any *unknown contact from calling you.

*To learn how this feature determines if a contact is “unknown,” please read the excerpt from this article below:

“… phone numbers that you've never been in contact with and don’t have saved in your contacts list. If you’ve previously texted with someone using their phone number or if a person has shared their phone number with you in an email, a phone call from that number will go through.”

I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

Jul 1, 2023 5:32 PM in response to sappco

Does it use a "silent ring tone"?

No, the phone does not ring at all, the unknown caller goes direct to your voicemail and the caller appears in the Recents call list

Does the phone ring at least once before the call is "rejected"?

No, the phone does not ring at all, the unknown caller goes direct to your voicemail and the caller appears in the Recents call list

Jul 1, 2023 5:32 PM in response to H1290

This article does NOT answer my question Does it use a "silent ring tone"? the article provides just a flat dummy description what happens on the surface... I don't need it... I am trying to find a meaningful answer.

Also "will block any *unknown contact " - HOW? How does it "block" an incoming call? does the phone send back any response to the caller...? How, How, how???

Jul 1, 2023 5:34 PM in response to sappco

sappco wrote:

This article does NOT answer my question Does it use a "silent ring tone"? the article provides just a flat dummy description what happens on the surface... I don't need it... I am trying to find a meaningful answer.

NO. It does not use a "silent ring tone". The phone will not ring or notify you in any way that a call is coming it. It will immediately reject the call.

Also "will block any *unknown contact " - HOW? How does it "block" an incoming call? does the phone send back any response to the caller...? How, How, how???

No It does not send anything back to the caller. It rejects the call completely, sending it to your voicemail, if you have voicemail on your cellular plan.

Jul 1, 2023 5:39 PM in response to sappco

Does it use a "silent ring tone?” I am unaware of such a feature. Either one hears a ringtone, or they don’t, in which case the ringtone is nonexistent. If you mean “Does it use Vibrate?,” no, it does not. For that would mean the call goes through, which it does not. The call is blocked.

”How does it block an incoming call?” This question takes us into an area of this subject, in which I am not very familiar. I’m referring to the “going deep” explanation of why this works.

“does the phone send back any response to the caller...?” I’m assuming only your voicemail greeting.

Jul 1, 2023 5:40 PM in response to KiltedTim

The reason I am asking is because:

if the spam caller receive back a signal from the device, this is evidence for them the phone is in use, it is a live line, so they will continue to attack it...

if there is no response the spam caller's robot might decide that this line is not in use and might stop calling it (ignore it).

If my phone will not ring, how the call is handled: the incoming spam call reach the phone then what happens? per my understanding the phone is expecting a third party app (if associated) to check the incoming call and decide if it is unwanted... = it takes time... if iPhone doesn't use a "silent ring tone" then how do they drop or cancel / cut the incoming call without communicating with the caller's device?

Anyone in this community can explain how Silence Unknown Callers feature works on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.