IPhone SE ( Gen 2) Keyboard malfunction after most recent update iOS 16.5.1

Since the latest update my keyboard has started doing really weird things like:

• some keys will not respond, esp ‘t’, sometimes ‘g’
  • even when my finger is not in physical contact with the phone but is hovering over it, letters will appear in the type bar

i have just tried the microphone. Works fine typing all letters.

The keys all work if I use the phone in a horizontal position. IE: type across the long edge of the phone

i have followed instructions to reset the keyboard dictionary but this does not appear to make any difference.

I purchased the phone in August 2021.

Any suggestions please. I am writing this on my iPad. Thanks

iPhone SE

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 10:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 7:08 AM

My wife's iphone SE just started to have problems with the keyboard's right side margin area; keys for P, L, backspace don't work.

flipping horizontal however, all the keys work.

That extreme area of the screen works fine for everything else (swiping, etc.) Only the default Apple keyboard has this anomaly, suddenly appearing a few days ago.

please advise how to fix this...

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2023 7:08 AM in response to SravanKrA

My wife's iphone SE just started to have problems with the keyboard's right side margin area; keys for P, L, backspace don't work.

flipping horizontal however, all the keys work.

That extreme area of the screen works fine for everything else (swiping, etc.) Only the default Apple keyboard has this anomaly, suddenly appearing a few days ago.

please advise how to fix this...

Jul 5, 2023 6:26 PM in response to SravanKrA

I am also having difficulties with my keypad on my iPhone SE. i am not sure why sravankra was talking about personal data. That is not what we are talking about.

the issue is that when I click the “a” key, the caps lock turns on. And when i click the “123” key, the caps lock toggles on and off. I can’t enter a numeric value.

it appears that several people have this same issue.

wish we could get some help on it

Jul 1, 2023 10:24 PM in response to Ejbnor

Updating iOS on your iPhone should not change your personal details. iOS updates primarily focus on improving system performance, introducing new features, fixing bugs, and enhancing security. They are designed to preserve your personal data, settings, and information intact.

During an iOS update, your device's operating system is upgraded, but your personal data, such as contacts, photos, messages, and other information, should remain unchanged. However, it's always a good practice to perform a backup of your device before any major update to ensure that your data is safely stored.

It's important to note that while an iOS update itself should not alter personal details, it's possible that certain features or settings may be adjusted or improved with the update. In such cases, you may need to review and adjust specific settings to match your preferences after the update.

Always make sure to read and understand the update details provided by Apple before proceeding with an iOS update, and follow best practices such as backing up your device to minimize any potential risks or complications.

If the issues you mentioned are indeed caused by iOS, it's likely that numerous users who have upgraded to iOS 16.4.1 (a) or 16.5 or 16.5.1 are experiencing similar problems. However, in order for the community on this forum to provide helpful responses, it would be beneficial for you to specify the nature of the issue you are encountering. Without this information, it may be difficult for others to address your concern effectively.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

Jul 6, 2023 1:58 PM in response to Notxsurewhatyouwantasacommunit

Thank you. My phone is still within its 2 year warranty so the retailer has sent it to be repaired. He tells me that there is a 90% chance it will be repaired.

My keyboard worked when used in the lengthwise position. If used in the width wise position and I moved the keyboard to the LEFT or RIGHT the t, v , and c keys would work. But the adjacent keys would not. So I wondered if it was a malfunction on a particular spot of the touch screen.

IPhone SE ( Gen 2) Keyboard malfunction after most recent update iOS 16.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.