email not coming in on iMac

My husband can no longer get or send email on his old iMac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 This has been going on for about a month. I have tried every basic fix but still not working. I am still working on trying to find him a solution so he can access his email. I noticed that he gets a pop-up box which says: Profiles/MDM wants to make changes. It looks like the MDM is our internet service provider comcast/xfinity. He has aways just cancelled it and moved on. Now I wonder whether that is part of the issue? Or is his computer so old and running on an outdated OS? Anyone able to shed some light on this, I would be so grateful. Thank you!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 2:47 PM

smokeyskies70-70 wrote:

...I don't know about whether profiles are loaded on the mac or not? Where do I look for that? ...

From what I linked to:

View an installed configuration profile
1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Profiles.
2. If you haven’t installed any configuration profiles, Profiles preferences isn’t available.
3. Select a profile in the Profiles list to view information about it.

If you have a profile loaded on that Mac, you'll want to check with Xfiniti / Comcast about that.

It appears Xfiniti/Comcast did sometimes use a profile (and I've learned something new today), based on this:

... https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/sg1y1h/profilemdm_wants_to_make_changes_tried_to_remove/#

I'd try approving the pop-up about the profile, and entering the login password when prompted.

If that doesn't work, delete the profile, and follow the Xfiniti / Comcast directions for configuring Mac mail.

Apple has a service that shows email configuration settings and related info here:

... Mail - Official Apple Support

As for your efforts to send me email, the Apple Communities email is no-reply. Replies to Apple Communities posting email won't get to the poster.

iMac Late 2009 is limited to macOS 10.13, so no options for upgrades there.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2023 2:47 PM in response to smokeyskies70-70

smokeyskies70-70 wrote:

...I don't know about whether profiles are loaded on the mac or not? Where do I look for that? ...

From what I linked to:

View an installed configuration profile
1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Profiles.
2. If you haven’t installed any configuration profiles, Profiles preferences isn’t available.
3. Select a profile in the Profiles list to view information about it.

If you have a profile loaded on that Mac, you'll want to check with Xfiniti / Comcast about that.

It appears Xfiniti/Comcast did sometimes use a profile (and I've learned something new today), based on this:

... https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/sg1y1h/profilemdm_wants_to_make_changes_tried_to_remove/#

I'd try approving the pop-up about the profile, and entering the login password when prompted.

If that doesn't work, delete the profile, and follow the Xfiniti / Comcast directions for configuring Mac mail.

Apple has a service that shows email configuration settings and related info here:

... Mail - Official Apple Support

As for your efforts to send me email, the Apple Communities email is no-reply. Replies to Apple Communities posting email won't get to the poster.

iMac Late 2009 is limited to macOS 10.13, so no options for upgrades there.

Jul 2, 2023 2:07 PM in response to smokeyskies70-70

I'm not aware of an ISP that provides MDM profiles, and have not seen other reports of that around here.

MDM profiles are usually organizations with IT groups assisting or managing computers.

Use configuration profiles to standardize settings on Mac computers - Apple Support

Are there profiles loaded onto this Mac?

What is the iMac model year? An iMac late 2012 and newer can get to Catalina, for instance.

Jul 2, 2023 2:18 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for your response. So then this is very weird since it is a home computer not affiliated with a work place in any way. I don't know about whether profiles are loaded on the mac or not? Where do I look for that? When I looked up the MDM it came up with comcast/xfinity, which is our internet provider. When I went to CONNECTION DOCTOR, and into online account, all of them including the SMTP ACCOUNT said " Trying to log into this SMTP or IMAP account failed. Verify that the username and password are correct." It's a late 2009 model.

email not coming in on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.