Why is my MacBook Pro screen dark and flickering?

Suddenly my macbook pro 14 inch screen (2021)(A2442) has become blurred and dark without any external impact or water damage, this issue seems to be there for some other macbooks also of same model what should i do

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 5:47 AM

Hi,

You should take your MacBook Pro to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

4 replies

Apr 1, 2024 11:34 PM in response to roguerishi

I have a genuine question on this ... 2020 M1 MBP here ... thought we purchased AppleCare but apparently we didn't. That alone was frustrating, but I'm seeing a growing number of people with M1s with similar screen issues. This is easily a $1k fix and in our case both the sensor cable and screen were defunct, although the system passed all diagnostics. Seems like something that should show-up, no?

The Apple authorized service person said that M1s were relatively solid ... rarely seen them in the shop ... however, he had one other M1 that he was just finishing up and it had the exact same problem.

So my question. I've seen at-least 4-5 threads on this topic on these Apple forums alone ... with over 300+ people affirming they have similar issues. At what point does this become a fix that Apple considers covering (akin to the MBP keyboard fiasco of 2019), is there a way to proactively associate our Apple IDs/Devices to this issue? It appears this is a problem that affects new and older machines M1 and newer machines indiscriminately.

Please note, that I'm an Apple guy through and through ... this is the first major issue I've had with one of their laptops in more than a decade. I would like for this to be an isolated incident ... but in the event it's not ... thought I'd ask the question here. Best of luck to everyone that runs into this issue!

Why is my MacBook Pro screen dark and flickering?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.