Apple Music profile for a Child

I cannot create Music profiles for either of my children on Apple Music. We each have individual Apple ID's shared on a Family group, They are logged into the Apple Music app under their own ID's, there are currently no restrictions switched on via the screen time controls and they are both permitted to set up profiles. The Red Icon in the listen now section does nothing at all when clicked for either of them. It's driving me a little bit nuts, am I missing something, please help?

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 2:35 PM

Thank you Vero_F1, I have since been in touch with Apple support and it turns out that children can’t actually have a profile on Apple Music, it just isn’t mentioned anywhere 🙄.

8 replies

Apr 24, 2024 10:03 PM in response to RollingSixes

A child account (they are under 13) can't create an Apple Music Profile which means they can't collaborate on playlists or use CarPlay SharePlay. If they are older than 13 (depending on your country) but still can't do this try the following.

Try this specific sequence:

• Sign out of your account on Media and Purchases (Settings > Tap Your Name > Media & Purchases > Sign Out
  • Uninstall Apple Music app
  • Restart device
  • Install Apple Music app
  • Sign back into account on Media and Purchases
  • Go into Apple Music app

I had tried these but not in this order. Profile now available.

Jan 22, 2024 6:41 PM in response to RollingSixes

That’s really annoying. It also now means they can’t participate in collaborative playlists.

I just spent 30 minutes going around and around with Apple support rep who insisted that kids accounts can have a profile. Made me do all this network resetting and nothing worked. So annoying. Turns out it’s because it’s a child’s account.

Apr 25, 2024 7:55 PM in response to RollingSixes

So I bought the family Apple Music and it’s telling me that either of my kids can listen to music that says cannot connect. I tried everything but you guys were so easily charge me for the family and I’m not able to use it so I don’t understand what’s the issue going on that my kids cannot, use it. They weren’t using it a couple months ago and now they want it and now I can’t have it so what’s the issue going on yours is it because of the age limit? Is that a new thing?

May 7, 2024 4:56 PM in response to RollingSixes

I wonder if I can change my child’s age to 13 to overcome this ridiculous restriction of Apple. I mean what is the point of having an Apple Music “family” subscription if my child cannot collaborate with me her parent on a playlist. I can understand having restrictions on who they collaborate with outside of the family, requiring parent approval. But within the family it should be possible.

Ii had hope to have one family playlist that we all could collaborate on and include tracks we would like to listen on a road trip in the car. But Apple restrictions means it isn’t possible. Maybe I should cancel my family subscription.

i must say Apple always fails when it comes to parent controls, downtime etc…It is like the developers don’t have children or when they tested these settings they never involved real families to confirm if they work in the real world.

i hope they fix it in the next update, but going on past updates it is usually a low priority. I really would appreciate if Apple included developers (ie parents) who have children and involve them with designing the functionality of parental controls or downtime settings. So that they parents can explain how they don’t work or how they impractical. Secondly Apple tests the settings with real families in the real world and fixes any gotchas.

Apple Music profile for a Child

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.