Apps stuck on waiting after iOS 16 update

After updating to ios16 most of my apps are stuck on waiting . Help! It’s been hours . Restart doesn’t work and I can’t seem to delete and reinstall either

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 2:00 PM

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2023 2:00 PM in response to Sjsayer

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Dec 12, 2023 1:12 AM in response to Sjsayer

After 16.7.3 update and phone reset all my apps on the screen (except few basic such as Phone, Messages, Settings and 3 more) are shown as waiting. For hours. I tried 16 (!) different solutions mentioned on number of websites. Nothing helped. I think it's time that Apple gives its customers an easy way to access option to downgrade as this company is clearly not as reliable as it was years ago. 10 years ago you bought their products to be sure that you have a smooth ride and no issues. Nowadays you don't buy them for the same reason. Recovering from a backup doesn't help in that case as the backup doesn't downgrade the iOS, only recover your phone to the state it was before... but without removing the update (what a joke). What's more funny, all the other apps (any apps from AppStore) download and install well while recovering from the backup. The issue is only about the apps originally installed on a brand new iPhone. That iPhone was my 6th Apple product and after experiences with batteries in previous iPhones and iWatch which turned complete junk after 3-4 years this is my last product with Apple logo on it. No Jobs, no care for quality anymore, just a giant corpo monetising on its old brand. Sad!

Apps stuck on waiting after iOS 16 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.