Related Article: Use Suica, PASMO, or ICOCA cards on iPhone or Apple Watch in Japan

Can’t Add Value to Suica. Payment Not Completed Error

It appears you can’t use a Visa card issued from a US bank to add value to Japanese Suica transit card. I tried all the various troubleshooting tips and spent nearly an hour with Apple tech support.

I tried restarting my phone, removing and re-adding my credit card to Apple Pay, cards issued by three different banks, registering through Suica App, etc. The specific error after trying to process payment is “Payment Not Completed.”

Anything else to try beyond the ideas I got from Apple tech support? The agent was friendly and eager to help but ultimately we had no success.

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2024 10:33 AM

I have found that the Apple Wallet Suica cannot be topped up 02:00-04:00 Japanese time!

“”You can charge (Top up) your Suica with your credit card on Wallet (unavailable from 2:00 to 4:00 am) up to a maximum SF (Stored Fare) of 20,000JPY.””

link here: https://apfaq.mobilesuica.com/faq/show/3138?category_id=92&return_path=%2Fcategory%2Fshow%2F92%3Fpage%3D1%26site_domain%3Ddefault%26site_domain%3Ddefault%26sort%3Dsort_access%26sort_order%3Ddesc&site_domain=default

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2024 10:33 AM in response to Thomas O'Keefe

I have found that the Apple Wallet Suica cannot be topped up 02:00-04:00 Japanese time!

“”You can charge (Top up) your Suica with your credit card on Wallet (unavailable from 2:00 to 4:00 am) up to a maximum SF (Stored Fare) of 20,000JPY.””

link here: https://apfaq.mobilesuica.com/faq/show/3138?category_id=92&return_path=%2Fcategory%2Fshow%2F92%3Fpage%3D1%26site_domain%3Ddefault%26site_domain%3Ddefault%26sort%3Dsort_access%26sort_order%3Ddesc&site_domain=default

Oct 2, 2023 6:47 PM in response to Thomas O'Keefe

I just figured a work around. But, it requires google translate (ideally on a separate device) and how to type your name in Japanese.

download the Suica app from the App Store. There is no English version, hence google translate. Go through the steps to create an account and purchase a Suica card and charge however much you want to to it. I was able to use my Chase Visa via Apple Pay to add ¥5000 to the card. At the completion, it will ask you if you want to add it to Apple Pay and now it is in my apple wallet. I still have to use the app to recharge the card though, but at least you can do it at your convenience and not have to go to the station.

The “name” line says you can use English letters but really you cannot. So you will have to type your name using Japanese characters.

Apr 14, 2024 4:51 PM in response to Thomas O'Keefe

i had the same issue. I asked my friend who is good at Tech, went to Apple Store, called my credit card company. I couldn’t find a solution. And then I found this post and watched the YouTube video, downloaded the SUICA app. Tried to add money to the app. However, during the process it asked me to change the setting for the location service. I changed to allow while using the app. I didn’t continue the process but tried to add money through Apple wallet and it works. So I guess you need to make sure you have the right setting for the location service. Hope it helps

Can’t Add Value to Suica. Payment Not Completed Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.