Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Default account in Mail operates differently across Apple Devices

I have three Apple devices M1 MacBook Pro, iPad 4th gen and iPhone 12pro, and the definition of using the Mail Default Account changes depending on which device I use.

I have two main accounts set up on all devices let's call them Account A (default) and Account B

I simple terms if i am using the OSX system and i wish to compose a new message apple mail implementation on OSX will always use the Default account (Account A) mail address to send the message as set up in the Mail Settings. this is regardless of what inbox or message is previously selected within mail prior to selecting New Message ( this is the important piece)

If i go to either my iPad or iPhone and do the same thing then the Default Mail account is only used if I happen to have Multiple Mailboxes selected or be reading an email within the Default account.

If you are reading an email within Account B (in my example ) or have Account B selected then Mail on IOS does something completely different to Mail on the OSX system, mail ln IOS will not use the default account to send the mail in this situation, which in my opinion is completely inconsistent and wrong.

After all a NEW Message is exactly what it says, and should not be assumed to be linked in any way with what the user was doing previously, and after all the user may have not been using the iPad or iPhone for some time before going back to generate a NEW Message

Apple get this long-running issue sorted, please?

JohnW

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 2:29 AM

Apple is not here. Feel free to send them feedback.

Feedback - Mail - Apple

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 4, 2023 4:00 AM in response to welshguru

welshguru wrote:

I will raise feedback but my 30+ years of owning Apple suggests it will fall on deaf years.

FWIW, just because Apple doesn't reply to feedback doesn't mean it falls on deaf ears.

As far as the behavior, it's possible they differ but since i never email from my iPhone or iPads, I really don't know. Of course if they do differ it could simply be because macOS, iOS and iPadOS differ in a number of ways.

Default account in Mail operates differently across Apple Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.