Emails sent from wrong account. Also saved in wrong account!

Hello!

I have several mail accounts on different servers lets call them A, B, C and D.

I have noticed a major issue/bug: When I sent an email from account B the emails will be sent from account A! This must not happen!

So I have investigated a little and noticed that contacts.app plays a role in this game. The problem was also happening for account C but after adding a contact with the sender details, it now does work and emails are sent from the right account.

But for my account B, this isn't the case. The best to test this is when I write en e-mail and save the draft, it will not go in the draft folder of account B but in account A. Even though I clearly mark the sender address as B.

What else could I try? any ideas?

This only happens on my Mac. My iPhone behaves correctly.

I run the latest OS with all updates.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 11:40 AM

Hello!

You've got a perplexing issue on your hands. It's good that you've identified some patterns and behaviors, which will aid in troubleshooting. Here are several steps and considerations based on your description and the distinction between your Mac and iPhone behaviors:

1. **Check Email Client Settings**:

- First and foremost, scrutinize the settings of your email client on your Mac. Ensure that account B's outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correctly configured. It might be possible that account B is somehow configured to use the SMTP server of account A.

2. **Update Email Client**:

- If any updates are available for your email client, install them. Sometimes, bugs are fixed in newer versions of software.

3. **Re-add Account B**:

- It might help remove account B from your email client and add it back. This could clear any incorrect configurations.

4. **Check Default Account Settings**:

- Some email clients have a setting for a default account that is used for sending emails. Ensure that this setting is not causing the issue.

5. **Examine Email Alias Settings**:

- If your email client supports aliasing, ensure that no aliases that might be causing this issue are set up incorrectly.

6. **Examine Draft Folder Settings**:

- Some email clients allow you to specify where drafts are saved. Ensure that this setting is correct for account B.

7. **Use a Different Email Client**:

- As a test, try a different email client on your Mac and see if the problem persists. This could help identify if the issue is with the email client or some other configuration on your Mac.

8. **Check for System-Wide Profiles**:

- On your Mac, check if any system-wide profiles are installed that might be affecting email settings. You can find these in System Preferences under Profiles.

9. **Contact Support**:

- If all else fails, it might be a good idea to contact the support team of your email client or your email service providers for further assistance.

10. **Consult Forums**:

- Sometimes, user forums for your particular email client or Mac may have others who've faced similar issues and have found solutions.

The discrepancy between your Mac and iPhone behavior suggests that something specific to the configurations or the email client on your Mac is causing this issue. It's encouraging that the behavior is correct on your iPhone, which suggests that with the proper settings or troubleshooting steps, your Mac can be corrected as well.

Each of these steps aims to isolate and identify the issue's root cause. It's a meticulous process but necessary for resolving perplexing problems.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 11:40 AM in response to Bernhard Walzl

Hello!

You've got a perplexing issue on your hands. It's good that you've identified some patterns and behaviors, which will aid in troubleshooting. Here are several steps and considerations based on your description and the distinction between your Mac and iPhone behaviors:

1. **Check Email Client Settings**:

- First and foremost, scrutinize the settings of your email client on your Mac. Ensure that account B's outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correctly configured. It might be possible that account B is somehow configured to use the SMTP server of account A.

2. **Update Email Client**:

- If any updates are available for your email client, install them. Sometimes, bugs are fixed in newer versions of software.

3. **Re-add Account B**:

- It might help remove account B from your email client and add it back. This could clear any incorrect configurations.

4. **Check Default Account Settings**:

- Some email clients have a setting for a default account that is used for sending emails. Ensure that this setting is not causing the issue.

5. **Examine Email Alias Settings**:

- If your email client supports aliasing, ensure that no aliases that might be causing this issue are set up incorrectly.

6. **Examine Draft Folder Settings**:

- Some email clients allow you to specify where drafts are saved. Ensure that this setting is correct for account B.

7. **Use a Different Email Client**:

- As a test, try a different email client on your Mac and see if the problem persists. This could help identify if the issue is with the email client or some other configuration on your Mac.

8. **Check for System-Wide Profiles**:

- On your Mac, check if any system-wide profiles are installed that might be affecting email settings. You can find these in System Preferences under Profiles.

9. **Contact Support**:

- If all else fails, it might be a good idea to contact the support team of your email client or your email service providers for further assistance.

10. **Consult Forums**:

- Sometimes, user forums for your particular email client or Mac may have others who've faced similar issues and have found solutions.

The discrepancy between your Mac and iPhone behavior suggests that something specific to the configurations or the email client on your Mac is causing this issue. It's encouraging that the behavior is correct on your iPhone, which suggests that with the proper settings or troubleshooting steps, your Mac can be corrected as well.

Each of these steps aims to isolate and identify the issue's root cause. It's a meticulous process but necessary for resolving perplexing problems.

Oct 5, 2023 11:49 AM in response to Jps_13

Many thanks for your detailed reply!

Problem solved!

So I did add the account from scratch several times already and it never solved the problem. I just tried it again and now it miraculously works.

I strongly believe that it works now because I added a new card in the contacts.app with the name and email of the account. This solved the issue for account C a while ago but not for account B. Now, for some reason it works which makes me a happy bunny!

Thanks for your detailed help, it did help me to find the solution!

Emails sent from wrong account. Also saved in wrong account!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.