after ios 16.5.1 update i cant make or receive calls

after IOS 16.5.1 update i cant make or receive calls

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 3:55 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with making or receiving calls after updating to iOS 16.5.1. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Check your network connection: Ensure that you have a stable network connection, either through cellular data or Wi-Fi. Try switching between different network connections to see if the issue persists.

2. Restart your iPhone: A simple restart can often resolve temporary glitches. Try restarting your iPhone by pressing and holding the power button (or side button) until the power off slider appears. Slide to power off, wait a few seconds, and then press and hold the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

3. Check your cellular settings: Go to Settings > Cellular (or Mobile Data) and make sure that Cellular Data is turned on. If it's already enabled, you can try toggling it off and on again.

4. Reset network settings: Resetting network settings can resolve connectivity issues. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note that this will remove saved Wi-Fi passwords and VPN settings, so you'll need to re-enter them.

5. Check call forwarding settings: In some cases, call forwarding settings might be affecting your ability to make or receive calls. Go to Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding and ensure that it's turned off. If it's already off, you can try turning it on and off again.

6. Update carrier settings: Occasionally, carrier settings updates can resolve call-related issues. Check if there are any carrier settings updates available by going to Settings > General > About. If an update is available, follow the prompts to install it.

7. Contact your carrier: If the issue persists after trying the above steps, it's recommended to reach out to your cellular carrier. They can check for any network-related issues or provide further assistance specific to your account and service.

If the problem persists, you may also consider downgrading to a previous iOS version or waiting for a subsequent iOS update that could address the issue. Remember to back up your device before attempting any major changes or updates.

I hope these steps help resolve the call-related issues you're experiencing after the iOS update.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 3:55 AM in response to rithu273

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with making or receiving calls after updating to iOS 16.5.1. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Check your network connection: Ensure that you have a stable network connection, either through cellular data or Wi-Fi. Try switching between different network connections to see if the issue persists.

2. Restart your iPhone: A simple restart can often resolve temporary glitches. Try restarting your iPhone by pressing and holding the power button (or side button) until the power off slider appears. Slide to power off, wait a few seconds, and then press and hold the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

3. Check your cellular settings: Go to Settings > Cellular (or Mobile Data) and make sure that Cellular Data is turned on. If it's already enabled, you can try toggling it off and on again.

4. Reset network settings: Resetting network settings can resolve connectivity issues. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note that this will remove saved Wi-Fi passwords and VPN settings, so you'll need to re-enter them.

5. Check call forwarding settings: In some cases, call forwarding settings might be affecting your ability to make or receive calls. Go to Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding and ensure that it's turned off. If it's already off, you can try turning it on and off again.

6. Update carrier settings: Occasionally, carrier settings updates can resolve call-related issues. Check if there are any carrier settings updates available by going to Settings > General > About. If an update is available, follow the prompts to install it.

7. Contact your carrier: If the issue persists after trying the above steps, it's recommended to reach out to your cellular carrier. They can check for any network-related issues or provide further assistance specific to your account and service.

If the problem persists, you may also consider downgrading to a previous iOS version or waiting for a subsequent iOS update that could address the issue. Remember to back up your device before attempting any major changes or updates.

I hope these steps help resolve the call-related issues you're experiencing after the iOS update.

Jul 5, 2023 3:52 AM in response to rithu273

First step is to check the phone has a cellular signal (check the signal indicator at the top of the screen). Make sure you didn't enable Airplane mode or some kind of inappropriate Focus setting.

Restart your iPhone. Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that still has not solved the problem, please tell us what you do to attempt the call, and what you see with your eyes when it fails.

Jul 5, 2023 5:04 AM in response to rithu273

If you are experiencing issues with call failed and the call forwarding option is not working, there are a few additional steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Check your network connection: Ensure that you have a stable cellular or Wi-Fi connection. Try switching between different network connections to see if the issue persists.
  2. Reset network settings: Resetting network settings can often resolve connectivity issues. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note that this will remove saved Wi-Fi passwords and VPN settings, so you'll need to re-enter them.
  3. Disable and enable Airplane Mode: Toggle Airplane Mode on and off. Open Control Center by swiping down from the top-right corner (or swiping up from the bottom on older iPhone models) and tap the airplane icon. Wait a few seconds, and then tap the airplane icon again to turn it off.
  4. Update carrier settings: Check if there are any carrier settings updates available. Go to Settings > General > About. If an update is available, follow the prompts to install it.
  5. Try a different SIM card: If possible, try inserting a different SIM card into your iPhone to see if the issue is related to the SIM card or your network provider.
  6. Contact your carrier: If the issue persists, it's recommended to reach out to your cellular carrier. They can check for any network-related issues or provide further assistance specific to your account and service.
  7. Restore your iPhone: As a last resort, you can try restoring your iPhone to its factory settings. Before doing this, make sure to back up your data. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. After the reset is complete, set up your iPhone as new or restore from a backup.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it would be best to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance and help diagnose the problem with your device or network connection.

Jul 5, 2023 6:05 AM in response to rithu273

This is what I looked up on this issue but maybe someone else has some ideas -

To troubleshoot the issue, I recommend trying the following steps:

1. Restart your device: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches. Turn off your device, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
  2. Check your network connection: Ensure that you have a stable internet or cellular connection. Unstable or weak connections can hinder the proper functioning of certain features.
  3. Update your device's software: Make sure your device is running the latest version of its operating system. Software updates often include bug fixes and improvements that could address the issue you're facing.
  4. Reset network settings: Resetting your network settings can help resolve connectivity issues. Note that this action will remove your saved Wi-Fi networks, so you'll need to reconnect to them afterward. To reset network settings on an iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  5. Contact your service provider: If the issue persists, reach out to your service provider and inquire if there are any known issues with the Call Forwarding feature or if there are any settings on their end that might be causing the problem.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it would be best to contact Apple Support directly. They have dedicated support representatives who can provide more specific guidance and assistance with troubleshooting the Call Forwarding issue on your device.

Remember to provide them with relevant details such as your device model, software version, and any error messages you may have encountered. This will help them understand the situation better and provide more accurate solutions.

I hope this helps, and I wish you success in resolving the Call Forwarding issue!

Jul 5, 2023 4:21 AM in response to rithu273

rithu273 wrote:

I DO ALL OF THAT YOU MENTIONED BUT STILL ITS SHOWING "CALL FAILED"

I suspect you have no network signal. This might be something in your phone setup, or it might be a problem outside in the network (or even just a failed cell or bad signal at your current location).

Swipe to open Control Center, and check the cellular signal (3 bars and a green button in my example attached).

Jul 14, 2023 9:58 AM in response to foims

Same Problem after iOS 16.5.1 install 4 days ago on SE 2nd Gen (2020). No cell signal what so ever. I spent hours and hours with the whole procedure mentioned above incl. trying re-install of previous iOS. Ended up buying a new Android phone while travelling overseas since I - surprise!- in facto do rely on use of mobile data. Being advised to simply wait for next update with bug fix sounds just annoying. Incredible!

after ios 16.5.1 update i cant make or receive calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.