MacOs installation error at the last second

My friend gifted me her MacBook Air. I followed the instructions to erase the hard drive and reinstall MacOs from recovery mode however at the last moment an occurs “An error occurred while preparing the installation, try running the application again”

I’ve tried the application again, same error.

I’ve wiped the drive and tried again, same error.

I’ve ensured the date and time is correct, same error except I suspect that perhaps it’s because the region is out however I’m not able I update the region from the Apple menu.

grateful for any help!

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 1:28 PM

See if you can access Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R (Intel Mac only).

You can also try creating & using a bootable macOS USB installer (with a 2018+ Mac you will need to first modify the security settings by allowing booting from an external drive by using the Startup Security Utility...however, if the internal SSD has been erased, then this won't be an option):

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If you have a 2018+ model and access to another Mac, then you can perform a firmware "Restore". With an Apple Silicon Mac this will also push a clean copy of macOS onto the internal SSD, but with an Intel Mac you likely will then need to access Internet Recovery Mode to reinstall macOS.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

FYI, you should always post the exact model of the Mac when asking for assistance since for many support issues this information is usually needed. You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac" or if the Mac cannot be booted, then by entering the system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2023 1:28 PM in response to Hackett_

See if you can access Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R (Intel Mac only).

You can also try creating & using a bootable macOS USB installer (with a 2018+ Mac you will need to first modify the security settings by allowing booting from an external drive by using the Startup Security Utility...however, if the internal SSD has been erased, then this won't be an option):

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If you have a 2018+ model and access to another Mac, then you can perform a firmware "Restore". With an Apple Silicon Mac this will also push a clean copy of macOS onto the internal SSD, but with an Intel Mac you likely will then need to access Internet Recovery Mode to reinstall macOS.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

FYI, you should always post the exact model of the Mac when asking for assistance since for many support issues this information is usually needed. You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac" or if the Mac cannot be booted, then by entering the system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

MacOs installation error at the last second

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.