Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Need to restore ipad, previous owner doesn't know their Apple ID

I received an iPad 4th generation from my mother-in-law. I restored it, but it's asking for the original owner's Apple ID. There's no chance my mother-in-law, who hasn't used this in years and is 88 years old, knows her Apple ID.

What options do I have? I'm just trying to get it setup for my use.

iPad Pro (4th generation)

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 9:07 AM

Typically an Apple ID is an email address you/she has used. If you are currently using a mobile device that is logged into your account, go to Settings and tap your name at the top. Look in Keychain, and in a browser's security settings if you use it to automatically sign into Apple when using a browser.

This support article describes ways to find your Apple ID --> If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support

or go directly to this link --> https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid

If you still need help:

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security "This article provides country-specific Apple Support contact information for customers seeking help with their Apple ID password or other security-related issues."

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not detail what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership). This will give you access to the device but won't restore access to the account used to lock it. There is nothing that can be done to expedite an Activation Lock request.

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 9:07 AM in response to scofaw

Typically an Apple ID is an email address you/she has used. If you are currently using a mobile device that is logged into your account, go to Settings and tap your name at the top. Look in Keychain, and in a browser's security settings if you use it to automatically sign into Apple when using a browser.

This support article describes ways to find your Apple ID --> If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support

or go directly to this link --> https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid

If you still need help:

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security "This article provides country-specific Apple Support contact information for customers seeking help with their Apple ID password or other security-related issues."

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not detail what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership). This will give you access to the device but won't restore access to the account used to lock it. There is nothing that can be done to expedite an Activation Lock request.

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

Need to restore ipad, previous owner doesn't know their Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.