Cleaning out excess Apple Mail mailboxes

Apparently Apple has ignored pleas to do something about this, so it's time to restart the conversation.

I'm running Monterey 12.6 on a MacBook Air. When I upgraded (after resisting as long as I could) to Monterey, Apple Mail became almost unusable. I have my own filing system under On My Mac, but Apple insists on adding another dozen or more unnecessary mail boxes, including many that are indistinguishable (at least by name): Two Sent mailboxes, two Junk mailboxes, two Trash mailboxes, an Archive mailbox, plus duplicates from my IMAP ISP and other accounts that are available below in the unlikely event that I should want them. How can I get rid of these unnecessary entries in the side panel?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 11:03 AM

Each mail account has its own set of boxes; there is also the "All" variety of boxes. And yes, that's by design.

If you don't want to see any given box. Hover over the account name and click the faint encircled "+" that appears. Expand with the blue arrows and deselect those you wish not to see. If the "+" disappears, shut down mail and reopen mail.

If you have unwanted accounts; remove them.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 11:03 AM in response to ksmithcamp

Each mail account has its own set of boxes; there is also the "All" variety of boxes. And yes, that's by design.

If you don't want to see any given box. Hover over the account name and click the faint encircled "+" that appears. Expand with the blue arrows and deselect those you wish not to see. If the "+" disappears, shut down mail and reopen mail.

If you have unwanted accounts; remove them.

Jul 5, 2023 12:33 PM in response to ksmithcamp

If you have excess mailboxes in Apple Mail that you want to clean out, you can follow these steps to delete them:

1. Open the Apple Mail application on your Mac.
  2. In the left sidebar, locate the mailbox or account you want to remove. The mailboxes are usually listed under the "Mailboxes" section.
  3. Right-click (or Control-click) on the mailbox you want to delete. A contextual menu will appear.
  4. From the contextual menu, select "Delete Mailbox" or "Delete Account" (if you want to remove an entire email account and its associated mailboxes).
  5. A confirmation prompt will appear asking if you want to delete the mailbox or account. Read the prompt carefully, as deleting a mailbox or account will permanently remove all its contents.
  6. Confirm your decision to delete the mailbox or account by clicking "Delete" or "OK."

Please note that deleting a mailbox or account will remove all emails and data associated with it from your Mac. Make sure to back up any important emails or data before proceeding with the deletion.

If you have mailboxes stored on an email server (e.g., IMAP or Exchange), deleting a mailbox in Apple Mail will only remove the local copy on your Mac, and the mailbox will still be accessible from other devices or email clients.

By following these steps, you can clean out excess mailboxes in Apple Mail and keep your email organization tidy.

Cleaning out excess Apple Mail mailboxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.