I want to be able to hide certain pictures so that when I put that picture into a new album i am creating the picture stays in the new album but i wont see it in the library on my mac in Photos Also I cant locate where the folder is with anyhidden p

How can I hide pictures from the library after i placed thm into anew album i just created? I need for the pictures to stay in the new album i made but be hidden from the main library

iMac 27″, 12.6

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 9:53 AM

One more thing - in the early versions of photos, hiding the photo did only hid it in the library view (Moments, All Photos), but not in the albums we created, exactly as you want it to work. But many users complained, that hidden photos remained visible in the albums, for everyone to see. People misunderstood the "hiding" feature as a tool to keep confidential photos secrete.

And finally Apple changed the Hiding tool to a tool to keep selected photos secret and added even a password protection to the Hidden album and the Recently Deleted album, so we can lock very confidential photos away. But now we lost the ability to manage the library view and remove the photos we have added to albums. A pity that Apple did not add a Restricted Album in addition to the Hidden album, so we would have both, the ability to remove photos from the library section, but the secret area for confidential photos.

On macOS 12 and macOS 13 the Hidden album is password protected. And you have to reveal it in Photos:

Hide photos from view in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Show photos that you’ve hidden

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, click Library in the sidebar.
  2. Choose View > Show Hidden Photo Album.
  3. The Hidden album appears in the sidebar.
  4. Select the photos you want to display, then choose Image > Unhide [number] Photos.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2023 9:53 AM in response to léonie

One more thing - in the early versions of photos, hiding the photo did only hid it in the library view (Moments, All Photos), but not in the albums we created, exactly as you want it to work. But many users complained, that hidden photos remained visible in the albums, for everyone to see. People misunderstood the "hiding" feature as a tool to keep confidential photos secrete.

And finally Apple changed the Hiding tool to a tool to keep selected photos secret and added even a password protection to the Hidden album and the Recently Deleted album, so we can lock very confidential photos away. But now we lost the ability to manage the library view and remove the photos we have added to albums. A pity that Apple did not add a Restricted Album in addition to the Hidden album, so we would have both, the ability to remove photos from the library section, but the secret area for confidential photos.

On macOS 12 and macOS 13 the Hidden album is password protected. And you have to reveal it in Photos:

Hide photos from view in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Show photos that you’ve hidden

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, click Library in the sidebar.
  2. Choose View > Show Hidden Photo Album.
  3. The Hidden album appears in the sidebar.
  4. Select the photos you want to display, then choose Image > Unhide [number] Photos.

Jul 6, 2023 5:42 AM in response to garbo333

Hiding a photo will hide it everywhere in your library. The only place, where you can see hidden photos is in the Hidden album or in a smart album with a rule "Photo is hidden".

For example, if you have an album named "New Photos" and want to see the hidden photos in this album, create a new smart album with the two rules

"Match all:

• Photo is hidden
  • Album is New Photos "

You will see all hidden photos added to this album in this companion album to the standard album.

Jul 5, 2023 3:21 PM in response to garbo333

You can't do that.

Are you trying to find images that are not already in an album then you can do this easily in another way. File -> New Smart Album -> with the conditions

Album -> is not -> Any

This will find photographs not already sorted into albums. As you add the images to albums they will be dropped from this smart album as they no longer match the search criteria

I want to be able to hide certain pictures so that when I put that picture into a new album i am creating the picture stays in the new album but i wont see it in the library on my mac in Photos Also I cant locate where the folder is with anyhidden p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.