iPhone heating up when outside.

Just upgraded from an iPhone 8 to 14 Pro. Seems that the new phone heats up really easily when outdoors. Not sure it is out of the expected performance, but it is a problem for me. I don't seem to remember the iPhone 8 doing this so much. All that being said, I live in a desert region of the United states. Temperature highs typically hit 110 F in the summer. Sometimes 115 F. I realize this is out of the norm, but it is my world. Any suggestions? (Carrying a block of ice is out of the question. Hahaha)

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 4:31 PM

Well, at 110-115, you are trying to operate your phone outside of its temperature range .. .especially if you have it in a protective case. Sorry, but folks living in the other extremes of severe cold weather face the same types of challenges using electronic equipment.

Environmental Requirements

• Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 4:31 PM in response to azakcresed254

Well, at 110-115, you are trying to operate your phone outside of its temperature range .. .especially if you have it in a protective case. Sorry, but folks living in the other extremes of severe cold weather face the same types of challenges using electronic equipment.

Environmental Requirements

• Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Jul 5, 2023 4:32 PM in response to azakcresed254

Your phone will heat up if you are connected to a weak cellular signal, as 1 bar requires 10 times as much energy as full bars. And If you are connected to a 5G network 5G uses much more energy than LTE. The upper safe temperature for an iPhone is $35ºC, which is less than 110ºF, so you need to find a way to keep it cooler. I imagine you keep yourself cooler than 110º for your own health, so you need to treat the phone the same way you take care of yourself.

iPhone heating up when outside.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.