Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Macbook Pro 16" 2019 suddenly crashing minutes after booting

Hello all,

The MBP is currently with an authorised dealer locally, so I can't post any logs or messages atm.

The machine just began crashing, without warning, two days ago. First I knew, I went to open the lid in the morning, as per usual, and the touch bar was lit up, showing what looked like static, but unmoving. Upon booting (which seemed normal, allowing me to enter the password etc), the touch bar remained in this condition then, after just a couple of minutes, the machine crashed and restarted. Then again. And so on.

I've booted in safe mode, tried NVRAM and PRAM resets and nothing is altering this unwelcome (!) development. Before crashing, the fan appears to give a little 'exhalation', then... gone. And repeat. Even with the lid closed a couple of times it attempted to boot and I heard the startup sound.

I've had no issues previously, there's been no water damage, maybe a couple of knocks in the 3.5 years I've owned it. It rarely leaves the house and is used more or less like a desktop, on a stand. The brushed-aluminium brick updated to Ventura a couple of weeks ago.

The local repair store has just written to let me know there's nothing they can do and, having spoken with someone at Apple, I'm looking at a potential (likely?) €1.100 bill for a new logic board. Looks like they haven't been able to rescue any data either. And apparently I need to send it to them in the original packaging!? Which, I'm fairly certain I don't have, having moved house in the interim.

This is abysmal for a high-end machine of such an age. And the whole right-to-repair issue... I'll stop here as everyone on these boards is likely fully aware. I switched to Apple machines just under a decade ago, but this is definitely the last. Next up will likely be a Framework.

In the meantime, if anyone has any advice, insight... anything, I'll be very grateful to hear it. I'll try and post logs/errors etc - if possible - when I collect it.

Thanks for reading,

Matthew

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 8:09 PM

Unfortunately I have been finding the 2019 MacBook Pros tend to have a higher than normal failure of the Logic Boards....especially with the 16" model. It does not surprise me the Logic Board has failed.

I can tell you from personal experience that these 2018+ models are very hard to troubleshoot since there are very few signs of what is transpiring with them since there are no power LEDs, charging LEDs, and the display is black for the longest time. Even the fans no longer spin up when these laptops are first powered on like they used to do. Intermittent problems are very hard to figure out as well with any system.

A waking from sleep issue almost always involves a Logic Board replacement these days since all the major components are now integrated into the Logic Board. SSD, memory, WiFi use to be separate removable components, but are now all part of the Logic Board. The T2 security chip adds even more complexity and another point of failure which limits the ability to properly troubleshoot these 2018+ models.

The static on the Touchbar may be due to the Logic Board, or it may be the Touchbar itself which would require replacement of the Top Case Assembly which is expensive as it includes the palmrest, Touchbar, Keyboard, Trackpad, Speakers, and Battery.

As for the power button & fingerprint recognition issue now, maybe the tech did not securely reattach the Power button/TouchID cable. Take the laptop back to have them check this cable is properly seated (or the cable may have been damaged during the cleaning as it is a fragile easily damaged plastic flex cable ).

I have been recommending to our organization not to have these 2019 MacBook Pros repaired due to the high failure rate of the Logic Boards since the repair cost is so expensive. Plus now that these laptops are 4 years old, many of them will start to need battery replacements which means an additional $200+ US repair for a system where the Logic Board has a higher chance of failure.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2023 8:09 PM in response to Incazzato

Unfortunately I have been finding the 2019 MacBook Pros tend to have a higher than normal failure of the Logic Boards....especially with the 16" model. It does not surprise me the Logic Board has failed.

I can tell you from personal experience that these 2018+ models are very hard to troubleshoot since there are very few signs of what is transpiring with them since there are no power LEDs, charging LEDs, and the display is black for the longest time. Even the fans no longer spin up when these laptops are first powered on like they used to do. Intermittent problems are very hard to figure out as well with any system.

A waking from sleep issue almost always involves a Logic Board replacement these days since all the major components are now integrated into the Logic Board. SSD, memory, WiFi use to be separate removable components, but are now all part of the Logic Board. The T2 security chip adds even more complexity and another point of failure which limits the ability to properly troubleshoot these 2018+ models.

The static on the Touchbar may be due to the Logic Board, or it may be the Touchbar itself which would require replacement of the Top Case Assembly which is expensive as it includes the palmrest, Touchbar, Keyboard, Trackpad, Speakers, and Battery.

As for the power button & fingerprint recognition issue now, maybe the tech did not securely reattach the Power button/TouchID cable. Take the laptop back to have them check this cable is properly seated (or the cable may have been damaged during the cleaning as it is a fragile easily damaged plastic flex cable ).

I have been recommending to our organization not to have these 2019 MacBook Pros repaired due to the high failure rate of the Logic Boards since the repair cost is so expensive. Plus now that these laptops are 4 years old, many of them will start to need battery replacements which means an additional $200+ US repair for a system where the Logic Board has a higher chance of failure.

Jul 7, 2023 9:07 AM in response to Incazzato

Incazzato wrote:

The MBP is currently with an authorised dealer locally, so I can't post any logs or messages atm.

The local repair store has just written to let me know there's nothing they can do and, having spoken with someone at Apple, I'm looking at a potential (likely?) €1.100 bill for a new logic board. Looks like they haven't been able to rescue any data either.

In the meantime, if anyone has any advice, insight.

Either have it repaired or not...

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

If you can not justify the repair cost, you have options:

Trade it in https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

Recycle it https://www.apple.com/recycling/nationalservices/

Jul 7, 2023 9:45 AM in response to Incazzato

Traditionally, the most common cause of kernel panics was bad or incompatible after-market RAM. As RAM is integral in your Macbook Pro, that can't be it.

What I notice now is panicking can be more common in Macs with "fixed-in place" RAM is they have unneeded anti-virus or so-called "cleaning" apps installed. Client-side VPNs and some non-Apple backup schemes have also shown up in reports.

Beyond that, the cause almost has to be hardware-related. I will have the replace my workhorse 2012 Macbook Pro 13" within the year and dread that. It was the last Macbook Pro before Minimalist Design invaded the Macbook Pro line. Having the thinest notebook is beginning to sound like the "smallest phone" running joke in the movie "Zoolander."

Jul 8, 2023 4:42 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks Allan,

The repair store (which hadn't even had the back off when they offered me their pessimistic prognosis...) has now cleaned a lot of dirt from inside, and checked and cleaned any points they could and... the MBP is now working.

Except...

The power button is now defunct. Doesn't respond to any key press. Nor does it acknowledge touch/fingerprint.

So, on the one hand pleased to have a 'working' machine but, on the other, a little concerned this is simply kicking the can until some other catastrophic crash. That power button issue doesn't augur well, imho.

Anyway, thanks again for the response, and good luck with your replacement - and all that glue!

Matthew

Jul 10, 2023 3:31 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks HWTech

While depressing, this is useful to know - I think perhaps I've also seen you post some of this information elsewhere here?

I'm having someone who comes strongly recommended look again at the MBP this week, so thanks for the tip about the power button cable. I had wondered, as the previous place didn't have much idea as to how/why it had begun working again, even so far as declaring 'a miracle!' when I returned to collect it...

Hope all good with your increasing supply of non-2019 models!

Matthew

Macbook Pro 16" 2019 suddenly crashing minutes after booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.