Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

How to track a stolen iPhone using IMEI?

how to tracking my phone on imei nomber

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 8:04 AM

This support article has a list of things to do if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen. --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

- The Find My service described in the article is the only recovery feature Apple offers. It must be set up before the device is lost.

Read this document about how to use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item --> Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Apple Support

The chances of locating a device depend upon which features you selected in:

Set up Find My on your iPhone, Mac, and other devices - Set up Find My on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac - Apple Support

Apple does not use the IMEI for finding a device.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2023 8:04 AM in response to msh48

This support article has a list of things to do if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen. --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

- The Find My service described in the article is the only recovery feature Apple offers. It must be set up before the device is lost.

Read this document about how to use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item --> Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Apple Support

The chances of locating a device depend upon which features you selected in:

Set up Find My on your iPhone, Mac, and other devices - Set up Find My on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac - Apple Support

Apple does not use the IMEI for finding a device.

Jul 6, 2023 8:04 AM in response to msh48

A lost or stolen iPad cannot be traced or located via its Serial Number or other identifiers.

Start here:

Locate a device in Find My on iPad - Apple Support

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours, the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to recover the iPad have been lost.

Apr 11, 2024 6:32 AM in response to PHONES1

PHONES1 wrote:

i would to track my iphone 12pro through imei. then the find my phone is turn off. how can i do it ?

IMEI or serial number tracking capability would be exceedingly popular with thieves, crooks, stalkers, abusive exes, and worse.

Apple provides Find My, and no other means of tracking devices.

Police and carriers can usually track devices by IMEI.

The rest of us, not so much.

Obtain a warrant or court order or equivalent, and maybe the device can be located by police.

How to track a stolen iPhone using IMEI?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.