unlink table headers

In Numbers for iPadOS, I have two tables in one sheet, and both have header rows. When I push up on one table’s body rows, the other table’s do as well, which I do not want. Is there any way to unlink them?

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 6:31 PM

That’s what I wound up doing as a workaround (one table per sheet), but if you want two tables on one sheet, sure you want to be able to move the view around by dragging in an open area on the sheet, but for two tables with header rows the effect is to hide rows in both tables. It would be more intuitive (and practical) to be able to just slide rows up under the header in the table that had the focus.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2023 6:31 PM in response to AdvisorMP

That’s what I wound up doing as a workaround (one table per sheet), but if you want two tables on one sheet, sure you want to be able to move the view around by dragging in an open area on the sheet, but for two tables with header rows the effect is to hide rows in both tables. It would be more intuitive (and practical) to be able to just slide rows up under the header in the table that had the focus.

Jul 7, 2023 3:09 PM in response to Celad

Hello Celad,

Please check out this link, which explains how to manage or lock header rows, which may be helpful: Add or remove rows and columns in Numbers on iPad

Adding header rows, header columns, or footer rows converts existing rows or columns into headers or footers. For example, if you have data in the first row of a table and you add a header row, the first row is converted to a header row that contains the same data.
You can freeze header rows or columns so they’re always visible as you scroll the spreadsheet.
1. Tap the table, tap the Format button, tap Table, then tap Headers & Footer.
2. Do any of the following:
* Add or delete headers and footers: Tap the Adjustable button next to a header or footer category.
* Freeze header rows or columns: Turn Freeze Rows or Freeze Columns on or off.

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2023 5:23 PM in response to Celad

Thanks for those additional details Celad,

It sounds like what you might want to use instead are sheets. This way you can manage multiple independent tables to manage your data with each using a different sheet, and then you can send the output to a single sheet so you don't have to worry about changes to the layout impacting all your data.

You can learn more here: Use sheets in Numbers on Mac.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

Jul 7, 2023 4:09 PM in response to Brittany1416

Thanks for replying! I think I’m on top of that, having done it several times.

But if you’ll notice, all the rows in the table(s) push up, even if you are touching in a blank area of a sheet outside of a table or tables, if you have more than one on a sheet. That’s what I’m trying to avoid, the hiding of rows that I want to see in one table when I am pushing up in another – can’t do it. You should be able to only move or scroll rows by touching within the particular table that you want, not anywhere and everywhere on the sheet.

Jul 7, 2023 5:59 PM in response to Celad

Thanks for replying! I think I’m on top of that, having done it several times.

But if you’ll notice, all the rows in the table(s) push up, even if you are touching in a blank area of a sheet outside of a table or tables, if you have more than one on a sheet. That’s what I’m trying to avoid, the hiding of rows which I want to see (but now they’re going up under a header) in one table when I am pushing up in another – can’t do it. You should be able to only move or scroll rows by touching within the particular table that you want, not anywhere and everywhere on the sheet.

unlink table headers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.