24 and 32 bit audio selected in Audio MIDI Setup are not retained after OS reboot

1. Insert any 24-bit and/or 32-bit DAC/amplifier without its own potentiometer/volume control (for example, Hidizs S9 Pro or FiiO KA3) into the USB port. By the way, I have a Mac mini on the M1 chip.

2. Launch the Audio MIDI Setup utility.

3. For our DAC/Amplifier, select 24-bit or 32-bit audio output from the drop-down list.

4. Set the DAC/Amplifier volume to any value in the operating system (for example, 50%).

5. Reboot the OS.

After that, the volume will be set to the maximum, that is, at 100%!!! The value for volume is saved only for 16-bit audio output (for 24-bit and 32-bit audio output, the value for volume is not saved).

It's funny, but in Windows there is no problem with this! 😁

Please fix this bug as soon as possible. It makes it very difficult to use DACs/amps that don't have their own potentiometer/volume control.

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 12:45 AM

I checked it in the current most recent version of macOS – 14.0 Sonoma (23A344), and it looks like Apple has finally fixed this absolutely idiotic bug! O__O I connected the Questyle M15 dongle to my Mac mini, opened the Audio MIDI Setup utility built into macOS, selected 32 bits from the drop-down list, set a certain volume level and rebooted the OS. After reboot, the volume settings were saved. S H O C K ! ! ! Same for 24 bits. Also, the volume settings are saved even after removing the dongle cable from the USB connector and reconnecting it. Volume settings are saved even if you connect two dongles to the Mac mini at the same time – Questyle M15 and Hidizs S9 Pro. Has Apple finally caught up with Windows in this regard?! ^^ I don’t know what influenced the Apple programmers that they finally decided to fix this bug - this topic on the forum, the bug report I sent, or they themselves thought of it, but this bug seems to have finally been fixed.

Anyone who has a DAC/amplifier in a dongle form factor without its own volume control buttons/potentiometer, please check it yourself.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 12:45 AM in response to Vlad_Koon

I checked it in the current most recent version of macOS – 14.0 Sonoma (23A344), and it looks like Apple has finally fixed this absolutely idiotic bug! O__O I connected the Questyle M15 dongle to my Mac mini, opened the Audio MIDI Setup utility built into macOS, selected 32 bits from the drop-down list, set a certain volume level and rebooted the OS. After reboot, the volume settings were saved. S H O C K ! ! ! Same for 24 bits. Also, the volume settings are saved even after removing the dongle cable from the USB connector and reconnecting it. Volume settings are saved even if you connect two dongles to the Mac mini at the same time – Questyle M15 and Hidizs S9 Pro. Has Apple finally caught up with Windows in this regard?! ^^ I don’t know what influenced the Apple programmers that they finally decided to fix this bug - this topic on the forum, the bug report I sent, or they themselves thought of it, but this bug seems to have finally been fixed.

Anyone who has a DAC/amplifier in a dongle form factor without its own volume control buttons/potentiometer, please check it yourself.

24 and 32 bit audio selected in Audio MIDI Setup are not retained after OS reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.