"Stand" measurements on Apple Watch

My watch does weird things with the Stand measurement, especially the first hour. As an example: last month I woke up at 7:45, put on my watch and unlocked it. at 7:46 I walked to the bathroom and checked the Fitness app; it showed that it was measuring my standing time. I then brushed my teeth, walked out of the bathroom and downstairs, walked over to the back door, opened it, checked something outside, closed it, locked it, and went back upstairs. I had not received a notification that I needed to stand, but I was upright and moving for at least 10 minutes out of the 14 from before 8:00. I walked into my bedroom and sat down at 8:01.

I checked the fitness app. It awarded me an hour in the Stand category -- for the period 8:00-9:00. In other words, 14 minutes of walking around (OK, including 3-4 or standing without moving around) didn't count. But about 65 seconds of moving to my bed and sitting down counted.

It is reliable that, if I get up within 10-15 minutes of the end of the hour (putting on the watch for the first time during the day), if I keep moving until sometime during the following hour, the time standing and moving around during the first hour doesn't count. But, if I get up at 5 minutes before the hour, walk around for a minute, then sit down for a minute, then get up again, it almost always gives me credit for the Stand time. If I get up, walk around, sit down, get up, walk around again, sit down again, then as long as I moved for about two minutes I get the credit -- but only if the second time I sit down is before the start of the next hour.

I assume this is the way it actually works, I just don't know why. This is the only part of the Apple Watch fitness app that works differently than I understand from the information available. Why should it not give me credit for standing, walking, and moving from the time I put it on until the first or second time I sit back down?

Apple Watch Series 4

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 4:08 PM

You Must move your Apple Watch arm in a typical walking swing motion for between 30 and 60 forward, backward complete cycles in a brief period of time. Any interruption of that continuous arm swinging (say not moving the arm on a regular basis for 3-5 minutes) will reset the count so you have to start over again.

So if you walk to the bathroom, then while doing your bathroom activities you are now swinging your Apple Watch arm, the time you spent walking and swinging your arm on the way to the bathroom will be lost.

If you are carrying something with your Apple Watch arm, it is not swinging. If when going up/down the stairs, you Apple Watch arm is holding the banister, it is not swinging.

The Apple Watch does not have a clue that you are standing, hanging upside down, laying down, sitting down, etc... All it knows is that the Apple Watch is moving back and forth, and it can count that, thinking you are walking. You can fake it out by just waving your Apple Watch arm for 30-60 cycles from any position.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2023 4:08 PM in response to Russell Kurtz

You Must move your Apple Watch arm in a typical walking swing motion for between 30 and 60 forward, backward complete cycles in a brief period of time. Any interruption of that continuous arm swinging (say not moving the arm on a regular basis for 3-5 minutes) will reset the count so you have to start over again.

So if you walk to the bathroom, then while doing your bathroom activities you are now swinging your Apple Watch arm, the time you spent walking and swinging your arm on the way to the bathroom will be lost.

If you are carrying something with your Apple Watch arm, it is not swinging. If when going up/down the stairs, you Apple Watch arm is holding the banister, it is not swinging.

The Apple Watch does not have a clue that you are standing, hanging upside down, laying down, sitting down, etc... All it knows is that the Apple Watch is moving back and forth, and it can count that, thinking you are walking. You can fake it out by just waving your Apple Watch arm for 30-60 cycles from any position.

Jul 7, 2023 4:32 PM in response to BobHarris

I'll check on that, but when I walk I always walk the same way, and when I go downstairs the bannister is on the right. It's confusing that, for example, if I get up from my office, walk 20 seconds to the bathroom, go to the bathroom, and return, that is always credit for the hour. It is only if (1) it is the first time I unlock my watch for the day and (2) it starts with less than 10-15 minutes remaining in the hour that I have this problem.

"Stand" measurements on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.