How to make a cell with a formula show as blank?

I've had some great help from this community the past few days, so I'm back again! In my personal budget spreadsheet, I'd like areas I haven't budgeted for to be completely blank. My tables have gotten quite complicated & large with lots of categories, broken up by month and as I'm a very visual person, it would just help me to make sense of things if a certain cells stayed blank. As I'm living with family ATM, I'm not having to budget for all sorts of household expenses yet, but I still have them in my spreadsheet for the future, along with things like holidays, which I can't afford right now, but hope to in future. 

So on this simplified version of my spreadsheet as an example, how would I make D8 (for the 'Travel' category) show as blank? I saw another post where someone set a custom cell format to achieve this by having it show as blank if it's value was zero, but I where my budget & actual costs are the same, I want those to show as zero (as in D5.) I could just delete what's in the cell, but that deletes the formula too, which I'd then have to reinstate later. Can I adjust the formula to only return a result if the cells it's referencing have some value in them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on Jul 7, 2023 12:45 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 8, 2023 6:12 PM in response to Badunit

I've just realised I'd like to do this with some cells that have a SUM formula in them. I keep playing around with different syntaxes but none of them work. The original formula was just the some of a column, e.g. SUM(B3:B39)

P.S. I wish I didn't have to ask every time I want to do some thing with a formula, but I find them absolutely baffling! Where can I go to get a basic understanding of them? Are they as hard to understand as they seem?

How to make a cell with a formula show as blank?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.