In Safari, images failing to load completely on some websites

Ever since the latest Monterey 12.6.7 update, browsing in Safari I noticed some images are failing to load completely on some shopping websites (Lowes, Home Deport, Etsy, etc )

Strange thing is, it's usually only the first or top image, and a reload/refresh doesn't help.

If I click on the 2nd or 3rd image, those load completely just fine. And then I can go back to the first image and it loads.

If it matters any, under Privacy, these are checked, which in the past, hasn't caused a problem:

-Website tracking: Prevent cross-site tracking; - Hide IP address from trackers.

Pop-up windows allowed, and content blockers are off.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)

3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 5:57 AM

Similar questions

18 replies

Aug 4, 2023 1:56 PM in response to Lochnivar

Well this sounds uncanny but rare. You may have an intruder.

Etrecheck - the handy reporting tool for … - Apple Community

is a great tool for evaluating the possibility of an intruder being on your machine. It can identify background tasks typically used by intruders. Teamviewer, AnyDesk, BitTorrent, LogMeIn are potential for that. If I uncertain put its report here, and we can tell you if anything is not kosher.

If there is nothing that could indicate an intruder, maybe a recent spill or drop is causing something to behave erratically electronically.

As for fan cleaning, it is much more convoluted than that. An Authorized service tech can verify if liquid damage has occured to the machine, if the CPU doesn't have too much dust internally, or any of a number of other issues that the Diagnostic can't see. I would bring the machine in for service after backing up your data and not seeing anything else problematic.

Aug 4, 2023 2:45 PM in response to a brody

Thanks for the tip - sorry to hijack your thread Joesh2. It's definitely not liquid damage, I've a keyboard protector and I am more than careful in that regard (no liquid allowed anywhere near it) and the machine hasn't moved from it's place on my desk since it was put there. FYI - the third party apps (recently used) were already deleted (i.e. CleanMyMacX, Bitdefender etc) and were installed after the initial issues. Still seeing the issues that Joesh2 reported in Safari but not in any other browser. Suspect my issue may be two-fold. One: Safari issues. Two: Overheating/GPU issue. Although I have read my symptoms are very similar to what was experienced by folk with this MBP version and external monitors due to previous BridgeOS issues. I also wonder if AMD drivers are having problems with Monterey, but that's only from what I've read from Feral Software when they commented on the current outdated state of play between AMD and Apple.

The mic and keyboard changes are strange though, albeit I've read others saying Keyboard switching is just something that can happen - definitely quirky and makes me wonder what's underlying.

Jul 28, 2023 5:24 AM in response to olivetriangle

No, it's unlikely to be the the graphics chip. If you try a different browser (any other than Safari), you'll see it works fine. And, if several people are having a similar problem, then it's unlikely to be the graphics chip. The problem is with Safari, including the latest 16.6 update, just in case someone chips in.

If you see the uploaded images, you'll see Safari bugging out, and the same page on Firefox.

Safari (16.6 - the same in 16.5)

And the same page in Firefox!

I suspect there's maybe more to the graphics problems than just Safari. Since Monterey 12.6.6., I'm starting to have quite a few problems with graphics and audio. But, who knows, maybe the new 12.6.8 has the solution - although I doubt it.

Aug 4, 2023 4:32 AM in response to joesh2

Apple's graphics drawing methods wihtin Safari are more closely tied to system calls, than other browsers. It is not out of the realm of possibility that a small issue on the graphics card could potentially render itself only in Safari. Think about it this way, if you use assembly language in one routine to address only specific circuits on the GPU, to optimize your speed, versus accessing any routine on the GPU. I've seen this happen on other programs before from Apple. And yes Diagnostics did see a problem. So please humor me and let me know if Diagnostics sees anything. Heat is such an enemy of computers, that inidvidual circuits can wear out with age. And Diagnostics can detect some of those issues.

Aug 4, 2023 8:18 AM in response to jack

It can either be the RAM or the GPU. The diagnostics can show if it is, if it happens to scan the very section of memory that is faulty or group of RAM switches that are faulty.

I had this happen to me way back when on an iMac G4, it would suddenly replace the cursor with with square smudge of a group of dots. I had Apple replace the logicboard after they diagnosed the graphics chip had gone south.

I've also noticed this issue randomly appear on other machines I've worked on.

Aug 4, 2023 1:26 PM in response to a brody

Appreciate the insight a Brody, I've got similar symptoms on my Safari which is working intermittently with images and videos (pixelation, lines occasionally, image not appearing) but remember all too well what a GPU failure's first visible symptoms look like as it happened to me on my unibody 2012 (twice) and now I'm seeing the same symptoms on my MBP 2019 A2141 i9 5500m. I only upgraded to Monterey because of a kernel panic (no report) while using Chrome on Catalina a couple of weeks back, now it's happening on Monterey.

I wish Apple made a vacuum tool to clean their own fans externally, I won't try opening it myself as to get to the fans on this model is complicated.

Diagnostics came back clear at this point, but weird things are definitely afoot (Keyboard changing from British to US at random, Kernel_Task spikes to 1500% CPU, microphone orange dot appearing randomly (not whilst in system prefs) without any app attributed in the top right control panel.

Ghost in the shell or dust in the fans (I hope).

Aug 7, 2023 12:36 PM in response to olivetriangle

OP olivetriangle here. Sorry folks, I didnt get any notifications that there was a further conversation going on. Right now I am on Firefox but have been using Safari v.16.6 regularly for certain sites. I like to keep separate browsers for certain things, and I've been using Safari exclusively with ebay and, while I've not had any more of the former image-rendering problems, there has definitely been slow response/delays in closing enlarged/magnified image pop-ups, and then navigating quickly back to the original webpage. Sometimes on a social neighborhood site, if someone posts a video, my curser seemingly locks up and I cannot pause the vid or quickly close the window. My curser makes a quick "stage left" to the corner and I have to grab the mouse and shake it silly to free up.

As far as RAM, I recently removed the original 2x4GB modules and added 2x16Gb from OWC in the same slots.

I'd researched all the threads on here about doing that beforehand and am confident that's all OK.

I also did a few Etresoft runs and saw nothing unusual. Would be happy to supply a new one if anyone wants to have a look.

Thanks to all.

Monterey 12.6.8

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)

3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

In Safari, images failing to load completely on some websites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.