You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wiped ipad asking for passcode??

I intended to give this device away as it is getting older and me having a newer device, so I wiped it clean. It was left untouched for a couple of weeks. Now it's asking for a passcode? The old passcode doesn't work and the iPad refuses to connect to iTunes on my PC.

Please help.

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 2:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 4:06 PM

Recovery Mode fixed it! Good grief, that was an obscure way to go around fixing the issue. Thanks for yall help!

6 replies

Jul 9, 2023 3:25 PM in response to MrHoffman

I checked via my account and the only device there is, is my new one. The only thing I was not able to do was the proper backup as I had limited storage, but there was nothing there I really needed that wasn't already on my new device.

It is possible that the person I was trying to give this to did implement a passcode, but she didn't recall ever doing it. She's elderly though, almost 70, but does okay with electronics. The thing is, it's still on the 'Hello!' screen as well, so it's a baffling situation.

edit: Sorry, didn't see your last question. I had it since 2017, so it could be its age, and it was from a reseller. I had no issue setting it up though.

Jul 9, 2023 2:46 PM in response to adara289

This is what Apple recommends doing:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

An iPad that has been reset will not ask for a passcode, but—if Activation Lock has not also been cleared—it will ask for the associated Apple ID and password, when s]starting the iPad setup and re-configuration.

Jul 9, 2023 3:07 PM in response to adara289

adara289 wrote:

I already did all of that, I believe, and it was thoroughly wiped clean.

It was a baffling situation for me to see through and it had been mine since 2017 so the passcode and everything should've been the same if the activation lock remained unclear.

If the following fails to re-connect to the iPad, contact Apple:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

I would probably follow the linked sequence again too, based on your “I believe” comment.

Was this iPad a new or refurb one purchased directly from Apple, or directly from an authorized reseller, or was this an iPad acquired in a private sale? Apple devices acquired via some private sales can be… odd.

Jul 9, 2023 3:05 PM in response to adara289

I already did all of that, I believe, and it was thoroughly wiped clean.

It was a baffling situation for me to see through and it had been mine since 2017 so the passcode and everything should've been the same if the activation lock remained unclear.

Edit: I even checked the 'Find My' and the only device there is my new one. The old device is not listed, even in the All Devices tab.

Edit 2: My answer glitched out and duplicated. Can't seem to remove the double. Sorry.

wiped ipad asking for passcode??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.