Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

apple TV stutter

I get a 2-second "stutter" when the video stream switches (video and audio cut out). I took my third-generation Apple TV to the Genius Bar and was told they have no diagnostic to run for it. My unit performed okay on their test screen. At home, I also have a second-generation 4K Apple TV box. When I connect it to my Samsung 65" OLED TV there is no problem. The HDMI cable was swapped—same results whether connected via WiFi or direct cable. The software is current. Reset was no help.

What's going on?

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 4:18 AM

when the video stream switches

Changes in video signal (frame rate, dynamic range) can cause a short delay on the TV, where it notices this and then adjusts. How long this takes depends on the exact model TV. Modern higher end TVs with support for QMS (Quick Media Switching) can do this transition very fast.

Alternatively, try setting the Apple TV box to not match frame rate nor dynamic range, so that the TV never has to switch.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2023 4:18 AM in response to luv my iMac

when the video stream switches

Changes in video signal (frame rate, dynamic range) can cause a short delay on the TV, where it notices this and then adjusts. How long this takes depends on the exact model TV. Modern higher end TVs with support for QMS (Quick Media Switching) can do this transition very fast.

Alternatively, try setting the Apple TV box to not match frame rate nor dynamic range, so that the TV never has to switch.

Jul 11, 2023 7:37 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you so much for your reply! I don't think I ever checked the Match Content setting on the Apple TV. I have been using the older, 2nd generation one on my main TV. I checked the Match Content and it was Off. When I turned it on I got the same stutter. So I swapped back to using the 3rd generation Apple TV and turned Off the Match Content.

Problem solved!

My Samsung TV is less than a year old and top-of-the-line S95B QD-OLED. I wouldn't have thought it could be the problem. Whatever benefit the Match Content was providing, I much prefer having an instant switchover of video

Thanks again.

apple TV stutter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.