Hide my Caller ID unless the recipient has my number in their Contacts

I want to hide my Caller ID, but if the recipient has my number in their Contacts, then they can see it's me calling. Is that possible? The "Show my Caller ID" seems to work currently for ALL outgoing calls, regardless of if the recipient has my number

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 6:14 PM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2023 3:50 PM in response to natsully

Hello natsully,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with hiding your phone number from Caller ID. You can turn off the Show Caller ID setting to hide your phone number from Caller ID. If you are in the recipient's contact list your phone number would show when you call. This is expected behavior. To find more information about the Show Call ID setting, check out this resource: Make a call on iPhone - Apple Support

"Change your outgoing call settings

1. Go to Settings  > Phone.
  2. Do any of the following:
    • Turn on Show My Caller ID: (GSM) Your phone number is shown in My Number. For FaceTime calls, your phone number is displayed even if caller ID is turned off."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Jul 10, 2023 5:24 PM in response to natsully

natsully wrote:

Thanks for replying, K_Faith,

What I'm actually hoping for is that I Hide my Caller ID on all outgoing calls, unless the recipient has my number in their Contacts.

Currently that is not happening. I have "Show my Caller ID" as OFF and everyone who has my number in their Contacts, including iPhone recipients, do not see my number when I call.

Is this possible?

That is not currently a feature of your iPhone, and unfortunately it would be almost impossible to implement, because your caller ID is sent by your carrier, not by your phone.

Jul 10, 2023 4:53 PM in response to natsully

Hello natsully,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Thank you for clarifying your issue with us. If your details are not populating correctly when you call folks, we can recommend some troubleshooting steps you can try. Follow these steps below:

1.) Try restarting your device to refresh things: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

2.) Contact your carrier to confirm your caller ID details are properly set up.

3.) Make sure that all updates have been installed on your iPhone. This can usually help with unique issues, since updates include fixes. Just in case, this link can guide you through the update process: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

1.)Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2.)Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3.)Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4.) If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
5.) Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do: If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

If these steps don't help, consider reaching out to Apple Support for help. They might have to investigate this issue further with you. Use this link to reach them: Get Support

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Jul 10, 2023 3:59 PM in response to K_Faith

Thanks for replying, K_Faith,

What I'm actually hoping for is that I Hide my Caller ID on all outgoing calls, unless the recipient has my number in their Contacts.

Currently that is not happening. I have "Show my Caller ID" as OFF and everyone who has my number in their Contacts, including iPhone recipients, do not see my number when I call.

Is this possible?

Hide my Caller ID unless the recipient has my number in their Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.