Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I have a new iMac - I have bose desktop speakers that wont work after being plugged into the Headphones Speakers (as advised).

How do I get my desktop speakers to work (when I am working at my desk).

I have a series of Bose speakers throughout the house & use Bluetooth & Apple Music for each part of the house, as needed.

However when I wish to work in my office with music in the background, for some reason I cannot get either the iMac speakers OR the Bose Desktop speakers to work.

Does anyone have any ideas what Im doing wrong? Its getting VERY frustrating.

I plus my last generation Ipod into the speakers & they work just fine!

?????

I will appreciate any advice - Thank you from Auckland New Zealand. RH

iMac 24″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 6:35 PM

New-Kiwi-Mac wrote:

I tested the speakers with other devices & they are working fine - so I'm starting to think that the Speaker output plug on the imac is at fault. Not something I can readily fix sadly!

Do you have any other suggestions - it's frustrating but not an absolute game changer!

If the new iMac has a defective headphone jack – and is still within warranty – you might want to have the jack fixed under warranty. (Or even exchange the iMac for a new one, if it is still within the exchange period.)

Apple Repair and Repair Status Check - Official Apple Support

Otherwise, you could look into USB sound cards, with the idea of plugging the Bose speakers into the external sound card. The old Griffin sound card that I have is no longer available, but a Google search for "usb sound card for mac" suggests that there are many options, at many price points, from other vendors.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 6:35 PM in response to New-Kiwi-Mac

New-Kiwi-Mac wrote:

I tested the speakers with other devices & they are working fine - so I'm starting to think that the Speaker output plug on the imac is at fault. Not something I can readily fix sadly!

Do you have any other suggestions - it's frustrating but not an absolute game changer!

If the new iMac has a defective headphone jack – and is still within warranty – you might want to have the jack fixed under warranty. (Or even exchange the iMac for a new one, if it is still within the exchange period.)

Apple Repair and Repair Status Check - Official Apple Support

Otherwise, you could look into USB sound cards, with the idea of plugging the Bose speakers into the external sound card. The old Griffin sound card that I have is no longer available, but a Google search for "usb sound card for mac" suggests that there are many options, at many price points, from other vendors.

Jul 9, 2023 9:52 PM in response to New-Kiwi-Mac

You might want to check the sound preferences in System Settings / System Preferences, to make sure that the selected sound output device is the appropriate one. (Also check the volume to make sure that it is not turned completely off.)

I have external speakers (plugged into a USB sound card), and headphones (plugged into the headphone jack); therefore, I see two choices for sound output.

Jul 11, 2023 5:42 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Thank you for your input SOC's (I too am a servant of cats!) 🤓

I tried all your suggestions. They still didn't get my Small Bose speakers on the desk going.

I did get into the Apple Music app & adjust the output option (& it still works with all the speakers around the house.... By the way) & unclicked the previous option in the Kitchen. It stopped playing there, but when I selected the IMac option & plugged the 3.5 plug into the Speakers output - nothing happened. No sound.

FYI, I bought an old iPhone 8 & cleared it out of everything except my music so use it as an ipod directly with the Bose speakers & just transfer all my music between the iMac & the "backup" iphone - but it is not the elegant solution I would prefer.

I appreciate your help & suggestions. Regards from Auckland New Zealand.

Jul 12, 2023 12:50 AM in response to New-Kiwi-Mac

SOC - I just worked it out... The remote control unit for the Bose desktop speakers was turned down to ZERO!

So after me testing every possible option including bluetooth, every device in the house and my own sanity, all that it was just me being an idiot at music 101 - nothing wrong with the gear - just the old man driving it!

I might pop into the kitchen help myself to some mashed banana and custard for dinner & then spend the rest of the evening dribbling out of both corners of my mouth at the same time, asleep in front of the TV (or is it a heater - I'm not sure anymore...!).

Thanks for all your help & guidance. (& never underestimate the stupidity of your audience - as I used to quietly share with the other lecturers who reported to me while I was lecturing in Business Management and Marketing at tertiary level - for far too many years obviously)..... Thanks again. R

I have a new iMac - I have bose desktop speakers that wont work after being plugged into the Headphones Speakers (as advised).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.