Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Cannot select GOOGLE while setting up email account

I'm trying to set up email account on my new iPad Air 5 but cannot choose google, nothing poped up when I tap to the "Google" at the account setting up.

Tried to setup manually with IMAP and SMTP then it said "Google is currently unavailable" but I tried on Safari, google email worked just fine. 

Found out the same problem on my iPhone 11 Pro.

It's iOS 16.5.1 on both devices.

Please, advise.

Thanks!

Anna

iPad Air (5th generation)

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 2:29 AM

Given that the issue affects both your iPad and iPhone, the problem is not device related.

As we are not seeing widespread reports of issues with setting-up Google Mail, the issue is very likely to be local to you - such as your WiFi Router or your ISP not routing traffic to some internet resources.

You may find that a restart of your WiFi Router, followed by a restart of your iPad and iPhone may clear the problem….

To restart your router, disconnect power from the router for at least 30 seconds - then reconnect power to restart. After your router reboots (which may take several minutes), force restart your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

A change of DNS settings may also be helpful.

This can either be set on a per-device basis in Settings, or can be set-up on your home Router. I suggest using one of the following DNS services - for which IPv4 and IPv6 server addresses are listed:

Quad9 (recommended)

2620:fe::fe

2620:fe::9

OpenDNS

2620:119:35::35

2620:119:53::53

Cloudflare

2606:4700:4700::1111

2606:4700:4700::1001

When manually setting DNS, you should add all four of the associated DNS server addresses, exactly as show, for the chosen DNS Provider.

Also be aware that if manually setting-up Gmail you are likely to generate an App Specific Password. To do so, you’ll need to log-in to your Google Mail account management webpage - using a web browser - and generate the Password from the appropriate account security page. More detail here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2023 2:29 AM in response to haianhm

Given that the issue affects both your iPad and iPhone, the problem is not device related.

As we are not seeing widespread reports of issues with setting-up Google Mail, the issue is very likely to be local to you - such as your WiFi Router or your ISP not routing traffic to some internet resources.

You may find that a restart of your WiFi Router, followed by a restart of your iPad and iPhone may clear the problem….

To restart your router, disconnect power from the router for at least 30 seconds - then reconnect power to restart. After your router reboots (which may take several minutes), force restart your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

A change of DNS settings may also be helpful.

This can either be set on a per-device basis in Settings, or can be set-up on your home Router. I suggest using one of the following DNS services - for which IPv4 and IPv6 server addresses are listed:

Quad9 (recommended)

2620:fe::fe

2620:fe::9

OpenDNS

2620:119:35::35

2620:119:53::53

Cloudflare

2606:4700:4700::1111

2606:4700:4700::1001

When manually setting DNS, you should add all four of the associated DNS server addresses, exactly as show, for the chosen DNS Provider.

Also be aware that if manually setting-up Gmail you are likely to generate an App Specific Password. To do so, you’ll need to log-in to your Google Mail account management webpage - using a web browser - and generate the Password from the appropriate account security page. More detail here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Cannot select GOOGLE while setting up email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.