Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Is iOS 15.7.7 safe or do I need to finally upgrade my iPad Air 2?

Is iOS 15.7.7 safe or do I need to finally upgrade my iPad Air 2? I was hoping to upgrade when the new iPad Air is released. Given the last security update (which sounds serious) and the fact the Air 2 doesn’t work with iOS 16, maybe I need to do it now, or don’t use it for financial transactions.

iPad Air 2

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 4:49 AM

Your iPad Air2 is capable of update to iPadOS 15.7.7. The Air2, as you may be aware, cannot be updated to iPadOS 16.x.

Apple has just released a Rapid Security Response update, iOS/iPadOS 16.5.1(a). Rapid Security Response updates are a new feature of iOS/iPadOS16 - this feature not being available for iPadOS15 or earlier. Until iPadOS15 itself receives a point-update, if affected by the specific WebKit exploit, the issue will remain unpatched at this time.

The iPad Air2 and mini4 still benefit from periodic Security Updates. However, given that there devices are now within their twilight support period, if you wish to enjoy iPadOS16 features (including access to Rapid Security Updates), you might wish to consider replacing your existing iPad sooner rather than later.

As for when new iPad models are released, contributors here cannot comment. Apple does not pre-announce new models. Beyond publicly released information, contributors here have absolutely no insight into Apple’s product development or release roadmaps. The Terms of Use that govern participation within the Support Community disallows any speculation as to future products.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 4:49 AM in response to SafetyFirst75

Your iPad Air2 is capable of update to iPadOS 15.7.7. The Air2, as you may be aware, cannot be updated to iPadOS 16.x.

Apple has just released a Rapid Security Response update, iOS/iPadOS 16.5.1(a). Rapid Security Response updates are a new feature of iOS/iPadOS16 - this feature not being available for iPadOS15 or earlier. Until iPadOS15 itself receives a point-update, if affected by the specific WebKit exploit, the issue will remain unpatched at this time.

The iPad Air2 and mini4 still benefit from periodic Security Updates. However, given that there devices are now within their twilight support period, if you wish to enjoy iPadOS16 features (including access to Rapid Security Updates), you might wish to consider replacing your existing iPad sooner rather than later.

As for when new iPad models are released, contributors here cannot comment. Apple does not pre-announce new models. Beyond publicly released information, contributors here have absolutely no insight into Apple’s product development or release roadmaps. The Terms of Use that govern participation within the Support Community disallows any speculation as to future products.

Is iOS 15.7.7 safe or do I need to finally upgrade my iPad Air 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.