Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Remote Login Always On

For nearly a week every time I go to Sharing prefs. "Remote Login" is always checked—though I uncheck it every time. Yesterday I used this terminal command to shut it down and, while it confirmed it had, the check mark is still there.

sudo

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -deactivate

Removed preference to start ARD after reboot.

Unfortunately this weirdness coincides with discovery of two new devices on our network outside our IP-range, unaccounted for after a careful audit, etc. I looked to see if the Remote Login malady is a known bug and didn't find anything. Would love to hear any ideas including all the ways the switch to turn it on (see Terminal response) can get activated.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 3:39 PM

OrganicBooks wrote:

For nearly a week every time I go to Sharing prefs. "Remote Login" is always checked—though I uncheck it every time. Yesterday I used this terminal command to shut it down and, while it confirmed it had, the check mark is still there.

sudo
/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -deactivate

Unfortunately this weirdness coincides with discovery of two new devices on our network outside our IP-range, unaccounted for after a careful audit, etc. I looked to see if the Remote Login malady is a known bug and didn't find anything. Would love to hear any ideas including all the ways the switch to turn it on (see Terminal response) can get activated.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2023 3:39 PM in response to OrganicBooks

OrganicBooks wrote:

sudo

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Jul 18, 2023 9:27 AM in response to etresoft

I found two terminal commands said to disable remote management and, since the first did nothing, I assumed this one did because of the response. To what was it referring I wonder?

As for the "'...security', 'clean up', or hacking apps that are so popular'" I've been around a long time in Mac years and learned to stay away from those in the eighties. I wonder if this could be a kind of projection as it's so far afield anything you could discern about me and my Mac. Fun to be thought of as a hacker, though...no doubt a benign one? ; )

Remote Login Always On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.