You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple broke my motherboard then replaced it

Hey guys,

I am reaching out because two years ago, I had my keyboard replaced by the Genius Bar.

However, I was told the motherboard was also replaced since the team damaged it.

But now the motherboard seems damaged and I didn’t really use my MacBook over the past years.

Shouldn’t apple be responsible ?

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 9:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 9:02 PM

Raida2023 wrote:

Hey guys,

I am reaching out because two years ago, I had my keyboard replaced by the Genius Bar.
However, I was told the motherboard was also replaced since the team damaged it.
But now the motherboard seems damaged and I didn’t really use my MacBook over the past years.

According to what you just told us, Apple service people accidentally damaged your original motherboard while repairing your keyboard. They replaced that motherboard (free of charge?), and now you have a new one.

If Apple didn't damage the new one, why do you think they are responsible for whatever damage happened to it two years down the line?

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2023 9:02 PM in response to Raida2023

Raida2023 wrote:

Hey guys,

According to what you just told us, Apple service people accidentally damaged your original motherboard while repairing your keyboard. They replaced that motherboard (free of charge?), and now you have a new one.

If Apple didn't damage the new one, why do you think they are responsible for whatever damage happened to it two years down the line?

Jul 12, 2023 5:22 AM in response to Raida2023

It's not "brand new" after two years, it's "used". Parts wear as they are used and some fail sooner than others.

You're well outside Apple's warranty support policies so the cost of repairs is yours to pay.

Saying you barely used it is nice, but that has no bearing on the problem or its resolution. It was in your hands and it's your device.

Jul 12, 2023 5:32 AM in response to Raida2023

There were some MacBook Pros – and Dell laptops, and HP laptops – that reportedly failed due to "defective [Nvidia] graphics processing units and media communications processors." If you owned one of these, then maybe even replacement logic boards would have been at risk for GPU failures.

But that was a long time ago. Your laptop probably wasn't made in that time frame, and in any event, Apple's recall program for those models has expired.

https://www.macworld.com/article/208030/nvidiagpu-macbookpro.html

My guess is that you've just had a run of bad luck. Infant mortality may not be common, but it happens.

Apple broke my motherboard then replaced it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.