Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

can you turn on your find my without the iphone

I cant find my Iphone and the find my isnt working or its turned off. My phone is still on but its locked

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 4:20 PM

No, you can only turn on Find My by touching the screen on your phone. This has to be done......before.....the phone is lost.

If Find My was not enabled on the phone before it was lost, the phone cannot be located online.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 4:20 PM in response to MsJarrell

No, you can only turn on Find My by touching the screen on your phone. This has to be done......before.....the phone is lost.

If Find My was not enabled on the phone before it was lost, the phone cannot be located online.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Jul 11, 2023 4:27 PM in response to MsJarrell

I'm sorry to hear that you can't find your iPhone. If the Find My iPhone feature is not working or the phone is turned off, there are a few steps you can take to try and locate it:

1. **Check the last known location:** If you have previously used the Find My iPhone feature, you can check the last known location of your device. Visit iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID. Open Find iPhone, and if your device is still connected to the internet, it will show its last known location on the map.

2. **Send a message and contact information:** Even if your iPhone is locked, you can try sending a message to the device with your contact information. If someone finds your iPhone, they may be able to see the message and reach out to you.

3. **Activate Lost Mode:** If you have not already done so, you can activate Lost Mode through the Find My iPhone feature. This will remotely lock your device with a passcode and display a custom message on the lock screen, including contact information. It may also enable location tracking when the device is turned on and connected to the internet.

4. **Report the loss:** If you haven't been able to locate your iPhone using the above steps, it's a good idea to report the loss to your local law enforcement. Provide them with the necessary details and any additional information that may help in recovering your device.

5. **Contact your service provider:** Reach out to your mobile service provider and inform them about the situation. They may be able to help you track your device or suspend the service to prevent unauthorized usage.

Remember, it's crucial to take steps to protect your personal information. If you have concerns about the security of your data, you should consider remotely erasing the device. However, this will remove all data on the iPhone, and it will no longer be trackable.

I hope you're able to locate your iPhone soon.

Jul 11, 2023 5:08 PM in response to DrSamoski

DrSamoski wrote:

You can though

There is no means to remotely enable Find My on an Apple device, if Find My was not already set up in the device.

A carrier might be able to check using cellular data, or can be willing to ban lost or stolen devices.

Bur users have no means to enable remote tracking, when Find My was not already enabled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.