Trusted phone number

I am trying to change my trusted phone number. When I use my appleid password to do so nothing happens. Any help is appreciated, this is quite problematic for me.

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 7:29 PM

To edit your list of trusted items refer to the section: About trusted phone numbers and trusted devices in the document Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

To see, add, or change your trusted phone numbers:

- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Go to Settings > your name > Password & Security. Next to Trusted Phone Number, tap Edit.

- On a Mac: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), then click your name (or Apple ID). Click Password & Security, then add or remove a trusted phone number.

- In a web browser: Go to the Account Security section of https://appleid.apple.com/

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 7:29 PM in response to SaturnTractor

To edit your list of trusted items refer to the section: About trusted phone numbers and trusted devices in the document Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

To see, add, or change your trusted phone numbers:

- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Go to Settings > your name > Password & Security. Next to Trusted Phone Number, tap Edit.

- On a Mac: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), then click your name (or Apple ID). Click Password & Security, then add or remove a trusted phone number.

- In a web browser: Go to the Account Security section of https://appleid.apple.com/

Jul 13, 2023 9:40 AM in response to SaturnTractor

If you find you can’t sign in, reset your password, or receive verification codes, you can request account recovery (read this support article: How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support ) to regain access to your account. Account recovery might take a few days or longer, depending on the specific account information you can provide to verify your identity.

Jul 15, 2023 4:28 AM in response to SaturnTractor

You represent a voice of Apple..

To the contrary. From the fine print at the bottom of every page on this support forum:

"This site contains user submitted content," i.e., people like yourself.

Most responses on this site come from users like yourself who can only advise you about things you need try yourself. If you think your issue has something that needs somebody with access to Apple's information, you need to contact Apple.

Refer to this document for ways to contact Apple ➞ Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country (also look for "other" regions), then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone ➞ Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Jul 14, 2023 10:27 PM in response to Limnos

We seem to be dancing around the focus.

I can not recommend what you suggest.

There is nothing wrong with the account or appleID.

To change those details whilst the trusted details are inaccessible would be detrimental, for anyone the user/owner. Resulting in the phone becoming disabled, leaving people with no communication.

The Apple review has raised this issue with me via my phone.

I have revealed the problem exists with the storage of the trusted number. Specifically, the ability to change it as required. The process exists, for some reason though - the process to change does not work.

Why? ( understand, I too am only following a process here.. it is nothing personal to you )

• I encourage you to find out why so this request can finally get closed.

I also need to address - in a 2 factor authentication system, why the second factor ( being email ) is not being utilized?

Why would anyone use the wrong phone number as apart of the verification/authentication process?

The purpose of the second factor is not just scraping people of information, it's real purpose is an alternative should the other fail.

Clearly, the phone number has failed, please send the requirement via email. It is so simple.

• why is that not occurring?

You represent a voice of Apple.. surely this can be resolved.

Jul 11, 2023 9:26 PM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos, Thankyou for your response.

when I try and edit the trusted number via security and password, the 2 factor authentication begins which sends the authentication to the old trusted number.

I can't seem to temporarily disable 2 factor authentication. The only valid factor is my email but the system ignores using it as an option.

Primarily, when I try the 'change trusted number' option, I get asked for my appleId ( which i used to get into this section in the first place ) after i enter it, the little arrows spin but nothing happens and the process just stops at that point.

I can't see a way around this.. 🤷‍♂️

Jul 15, 2023 8:29 PM in response to Limnos

Good work with the Apple support link. The problems have been acknowledged.

Yes, the disclaimer is an excellent tool that protects Apple from people giving bad advice.

May I take this opportunity to discuss with you, to provide people with the Apple direct support link before you suggest resetting people's account.

That action creates further problems for Apple support to rectify, which undermines the motive of this community knowledge base.

The reset is a last resort step and should be conducted as.

'Thanks' for your efforts, 'Ta' for the link.

Keep up the good work.

Trusted phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.