You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos and Videos gone forever?

I did not realize that when you delete photos from your phone, they are deleted from the icloud as well? They are not in my recently deleted folder as I was clearing out my phone to free up space. I assumed once they were all on my icloud they would be there until I delete from icloud. Are they gone forever? Please help!

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 7:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 8:30 AM

Hello Ctimms11,

When deleting photos/videos from the Photo app's Recently Deleted folder, you receive a prompt notifying you it will be deleted everywhere:

This will delete the selected photo from iCloud and all connected devices.

If they're not in your Recently Deleted folder, they are gone forever. You can revert to a backup where they did exist, but be careful! If you do this, you could potentially lose photos taken between now and when the backup was taken.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 12, 2023 8:30 AM in response to Ctimms11

Hello Ctimms11,

When deleting photos/videos from the Photo app's Recently Deleted folder, you receive a prompt notifying you it will be deleted everywhere:

This will delete the selected photo from iCloud and all connected devices.

If they're not in your Recently Deleted folder, they are gone forever. You can revert to a backup where they did exist, but be careful! If you do this, you could potentially lose photos taken between now and when the backup was taken.

Jul 12, 2023 9:05 AM in response to andria17

The whole point of iCloud is everything is connected/synced and no matter what Apple device you're on your data is there (synced across everything).

You could just not sync your iPad to iCloud Photos, but this isn't recommended. Obviously, if you do this any photos you take on your iPad won't sync to iCloud. Photos taken on other Apple devices also won't appear on your iPad.

Photos and Videos gone forever?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.