iPhone Mail: deleted Inbox messages keep reappearing

I'm using IMAP. I have several messages that are stuck in my iPhone's Inbox. When I delete one of these messages on my iPhone, it soon reappears in the Inbox. If I move it to another folder, it doesn't actually get moved, and stays in my Inbox.

On my MacBook Air, these messages are not in the Inbox. In Webmail, these messages are not in the Inbox.

On my iPhone, in Mail's Advanced Account settings, my "Deleted Mailbox" is set to TRASH "on the server", and "move discarded messages into:" is set to "Deleted Mailbox". If I set it to "Archive Mailbox", the messages still reappear.

I have tried changing "move discarded messages into:" to "Archive Mailbox", rebooting, changing it back to "Deleted Mailbox" and rebooting. It doesn't fix the problem.

I have an iPhone X running iOS 16.5.1

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 3:00 PM

Hi acypher,

Since this only occurs on your iPhone, not on Mac or webmail, there may be an issue with this account on your iPhone. First, it may be helpful to use Mail - Official Apple Support to look up the settings for your email account. Then, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Account name] to make sure they match what shows up using the mail settings lookup from the above link.

If everything looks OK there, try removing the email account using this guidance from If you can't receive email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

"Remove your email account and set it up again

1. On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your device.
  2. On your device, go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
  3. Tap the email account that you want to remove.
  4. Tap Delete Account.
  5. Add your account again."

All the best.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2023 3:00 PM in response to acypher

Hi acypher,

Since this only occurs on your iPhone, not on Mac or webmail, there may be an issue with this account on your iPhone. First, it may be helpful to use Mail - Official Apple Support to look up the settings for your email account. Then, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Account name] to make sure they match what shows up using the mail settings lookup from the above link.

If everything looks OK there, try removing the email account using this guidance from If you can't receive email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

"Remove your email account and set it up again

1. On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your device.
  2. On your device, go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
  3. Tap the email account that you want to remove.
  4. Tap Delete Account.
  5. Add your account again."

All the best.

Jul 13, 2023 11:10 AM in response to acypher

Hey acypher,

We'll be happy to help! Have you tried switching networks and then attempt to delete again? This can rule out the issue being with the connection. For example, if you're connected to cellular data, try switching off cellular data and connecting to Wi-Fi only, or vice versa. If you're not sure how to turn off cellular data to connect to Wi-Fi only, follow these steps: Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Keep us updated!

iPhone Mail: deleted Inbox messages keep reappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.