Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown

Why is this being done to my photos

Why is my photos going to be taken away .

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 12:56 PM

As I'm sure you know this only affects photos that are in your My Photo Stream folder. It does not affect the photos that were taken with your camera on the device. Those photos will remain in your Library where they are now. Any photo that you took on the device will not be affected at all. It was only used when a photo was taken on one device, it could be seen on another device that had the same Apple ID. There were many limitations to My Photo Stream:

• Photos were only saved for 30 days
  • No Live Photos would be in there
  • No Videos would be in there
  • Not viewable on Watch if you have one
  • Editing a photo in My Photo Stream would not update the original

There are many ways to save a photo on another device, including AirDrop, Message, Email or importing into Photos on a Mac. With more people using the Live Photo option or taking Videos, the service did nothing for them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2023 12:56 PM in response to Elvisdiana12

As I'm sure you know this only affects photos that are in your My Photo Stream folder. It does not affect the photos that were taken with your camera on the device. Those photos will remain in your Library where they are now. Any photo that you took on the device will not be affected at all. It was only used when a photo was taken on one device, it could be seen on another device that had the same Apple ID. There were many limitations to My Photo Stream:

• Photos were only saved for 30 days
  • No Live Photos would be in there
  • No Videos would be in there
  • Not viewable on Watch if you have one
  • Editing a photo in My Photo Stream would not update the original

There are many ways to save a photo on another device, including AirDrop, Message, Email or importing into Photos on a Mac. With more people using the Live Photo option or taking Videos, the service did nothing for them.

Why is this being done to my photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.