How do I unlock my MacBook if I didn’t use my Apple ID password

How do I unlock my MacBook Pro if I didn’t use my Apple ID to sign in

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 6:30 PM

Thanks. That definitively brings us back to Reset your Mac login password - Apple Support, followed by If you can’t reset your Mac login password - Apple Support.

Most of the initial steps begin with "If you see this option... " or "If you are asked for... <something>" because different password reset options have been introduced over the years. From what you describe, at least some of them are not applicable to your Mac or your User Account, or you already determined they aren't getting you anywhere.

Proceed with the steps in that second Apple Support document — the ones that begin with "Start up from macOS Recovery" — and let me know how far you get. Most of them also begin with "If..." for the same reasons.

If you ultimately arrive at the last and final steps they describe erasing the Mac, followed by restoring its content from a Time Machine backup.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2023 6:30 PM in response to Savagecheeto21

Thanks. That definitively brings us back to Reset your Mac login password - Apple Support, followed by If you can’t reset your Mac login password - Apple Support.

Most of the initial steps begin with "If you see this option... " or "If you are asked for... <something>" because different password reset options have been introduced over the years. From what you describe, at least some of them are not applicable to your Mac or your User Account, or you already determined they aren't getting you anywhere.

Proceed with the steps in that second Apple Support document — the ones that begin with "Start up from macOS Recovery" — and let me know how far you get. Most of them also begin with "If..." for the same reasons.

If you ultimately arrive at the last and final steps they describe erasing the Mac, followed by restoring its content from a Time Machine backup.

Jul 13, 2023 5:32 PM in response to Savagecheeto21

Are you unable to log in?

Read Reset your Mac login password - Apple Support

Follow all applicable steps, to include If you can’t reset your Mac login password if required.

... Or are you encountering a lock icon, or something else.

Read If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support, specifically Lock icon or System lock PIN code, as applicable.

Jul 13, 2023 5:44 PM in response to John Galt

So yesterday I logged into my computer without any problems however, this morning I try to login into it again and it wouldn’t let me. After so many attempts of trying to login, it gives you a time limit of when you could try again. Clearly, I forgot my password, but it doesn’t show anything as of “forgot your password” or even “reset your password”. Sorry for the misunderstanding this is what I meant

How do I unlock my MacBook if I didn’t use my Apple ID password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.